Windows Nostalgia - Share it
I was originally going to post this on a thread about getting hold of Win 7 pre order where someone was asking why everyone was in such a hurry to spend their money. This got me thinking about why I have personally put money down to by an OS for the first time in my life.
After the Vista debacle, I never thought I'd be excited about an MS OS again. Being of a certain age, I remember the anticipation surrounding the releases of various versions of Windows over the years and with a couple of notable exceptions, I've been excited to try every single one.
Here then is my potted of history of what got me excited about Windows at almost every version.
- Windows 1.0 - Oooh windows! No apps though.
- Windows 2.0 - Oooh, overlapping windows. Pagemaker! Yay!
- Windows 3.0 - Nice step up from Windows 2.x. Colour! Program Manager!
- Windows 3.1, Workgroups etc. - Mmmm networking, Internet.
- Windows NT 3 - At the time I was not that interested, but that would change.
- Windows 95 - Hugely exciting at the time. I forget how many floppies this came on but at the time it was well worth it. All that desktop customisation - good stuff.
- Windows NT 4 - This came along just in time to save me from years of suffering with Novell NetWare.
- Windows 98 - Smoothing out of the rough edges and a much nicer OS all around. This is what 95 should have been from the start. (as pointed out elsewhere in the thread, R2 was the version to have)
- Windows 2000 - This came along just in time to save me from years of suffering with NT 4. A giant leap forward for Microsoft and a very very solid OS, still running in many places.
- Windows ME - Best left alone although some newer stuff did debut here.
- Windows XP, 2003 - Despite the solidity of Win2K, it was never an exciting user experience but XP fixed all that and 2003 was a good evolutionary step on the server side.
- Windows Vista - Never wanted it, never used it so I suppose I should just keep quiet about it.
Anyone else care to share their thoughts / memories at this exciting time...