windows network problems
Not completely sure where this needs to go but seeing as its a windows network i'll start off here. I need some help as i'm stumped.
I'm currently replacing servers with newer more powerful servers. In most cases moving many services from a number of old servers to 1 new server (21 old servers :)) right to the problem
2 servers, 1 was named jill and ran the staff and student docs, av and was print server. The other named bill (i didn't name these) was used for wsus and a share repository i.e. program shares, file shares etc.
right i've moved all these services to the new servers and all the services work great, nice and fast and more space. The problem comes however when i switch of either bill and jill. When i do this strange things happen. word stalls when trying to open anything, "my computer" stalls, random things such as on my pc when bill is off when i righ click go to new it stalls for like 2 mins before the menu appears! as soon as i turn bill back on it works again.
I have moved all services, changed all links i can find to these servers in gp. all the services do run from the new servers. what have i done wrong? have i just missed a step out somewhere? to this point i've only really added servers to a network and not really had to remove any and any i have removed i just switched off and removed with no problems.
please help :)
if you still have any mapped drives which point to bill or jill, my computer will take ages to load as it tries to open the connections and they fail. Make sure you update the login scripts with the mapped drives to the new locations. You might want to add the line net use /del * /y to clear any old mapped drives first.
As for the right click context menu. Is there anything in there which used resources on the old servers? Such as maybe a network application which was run from there etc. That might need reinstalling to update the shortcuts etc
The amount of times i ran into miscellaneous troubles and problem was dns related i lost count. Sp might be worth checking DNS ?
Make sure your logon script that is managing your network drives is deleting the old ones first so if you have an O:\ drive mapped to something u want to put in "NET USE O: /DELETE" Before actually having the new one map. Also might be worth blanking the profiles?
I've cut all maps in the scripts.
i was just trying to find out if i was doing it right (so far) as i've not done many server removals. I think the problems must be linked with the dns and the fact all the users "my docs" was held on jill and in some cases windows automatically points to jill when clicking save as. I think i've done nearly everything right but it will just take longer than i thought to get rid of all references to these servers as they were used so heavily.
Thanks for the help guys you have given me hope :) i was thinking that next to my lovely new shiney cab would be 2 old horrible looking servers plugged in to it keeping it all together :D
and if you have roming profiles on the server for user accouns DEL them so it removes all trace of the old server and
or just the do a search for NTUSER.DAT and del them all
for for me
Ye we had a similar problem when students clicked save as it look them back to the old server, which is why we ended up having to clear everyone's profile, and make sure all the paths in the GPO pointed everyone to the new location and that all students mapped to the new server.