I'm going to replace an ageing 5 years + domain controller soon and was wondering just what procedure you guys use (I mean in what order). This is how I usually do things, but just curious if people do things differently :)
1. Firstly install Server 2003 SP2 and/or R2 then join the existing domain as a member server.
2. Export DHCP from existing DC and import DHCP onto member server.
3. Promote new member server to a domain controller
4. Transfer FSMO Roles by GUI as described here
5. Create a new Global Catalog
6. Create a Secondary DNS Zone
7. Unauthorise old DHCP database
8. Remove old Global Catalog
9. Change the role of the new DNS server to Primary DNS
10. Remove the old domain controller from the network and change the new domain controller IP address
11. Rename the domain controller so it's the same as the old domain controller
The question I've often asked though is "how long is enough" for replication to take place between two domain controllers? Many thanks!