Dual Core Workstation Not Adding [Some] Printers
I have a dual core workstation for which I am developing a new image. I intend this image to be a ‘generic’ image for all station types [dual core/single core/Dell/Viglen/RM/Unbranded/...] but I have hit a slight problem.
When I try to add network printers to this station some of the printers will not install. The printers that will not install tend to be HP 1320, HP 1302n and HP p2015. This is rather frustrating as other dual core stations already on the network and all of the single core stations in school access the printers quite happily. No matter how I try to add the printers I get the same error. It says it could not access the named printer [or similar message, I can’t remember exactly now as I am not at work.] The local Print Service then stops. If I restart the service it goes through the same cycle again.
Things not causing the problem:
Viglen Remote Learning [Rebadged NetSupport] This has been uninstalled.
Printer share name. Printers and share names have been changed in an experiment to rule this out.
Printer IP address. These have also been changed/swapped.
Printer driver. The printers all pick their shares up from the same server.
Printer model. This station will add ‘Printer A’ but not ‘Printer B’ even though A and B are the same make and model and the printer settings have been adjusted at the server so that ‘Printer A’ [the one that does get added] matches ‘Printer B’
What I am going to try tomorrow:
Run CCleaner [or something similar] to check that there are no residual parts of Viglen Remote Learning after uninstall.
Any other ideas? I don’t want to waste another whole day on this and this is already a clean start image. I don’t have time to begin another image before term starts.
Resolved? Dual Core Workstation Not Adding [Some] Printers
It looks like I might have cracked it now. The dual core station is now adding ALL of my network printers.
After a LOT of work I found that some of the queues which were declaring the drivers as PCL 6 [HP 1320 and HP p2015] were actually downloading PCL 5 and PCL 5e drivers. I have systematically tested each queue in turn deleting and recreating those with drivers which were not truly PCL 6.
What threw me originally was that some stations had no problems with this combination of drivers and when it was working on those stations I did not spot that some of the queues were not truly PCL 6.
Time now to add the new software and then to make this image generic.
Lots to do yet then. :(