MS Update problems..
Is anybody else having problems updating this week? Can't access the update site at all at the moment from our netowrk PC's...
Might be a coincidence, but we had a BLOXX installed on Monday. There are pretty much zero restrictions on the accounts we are using here in the office, so I wouldn't have thought it was that?
Error code is 80244018, which seems to indicate an https problem?
Anybody else having problems, or is it just me?
Do you have a laptop you can use to test Windows Update outside of your network? If all machines are reporting the same error then the common factor is the proxy filtering.
I have used Windows Update and Office Update several times both at school (RM SafetyNet filtered) and at home without difficulty
At what point does this happen?
You are not alone!
We had Netsweeper installed by Lincs CC and they deny totally that it is their proxy because all the other schools are not having a problem. However we cannot do updates on any workstation or server. The first error said our time and date settings were wrong - they are not. I get two error codes which microsoft cannot provide a solution for that works. These are 0x80244022 and 0x80072f8f.
Every thing was perfect before. Netsweeper was installed a month ago and we only noticed the problem when I installed a Server 2008 machine and tried to run updates. It did work intitially so we think it is to do with the county proxy but they say it's not!
Can anyone help me with regard to these two error codes
Getting desperate now because I can't put my new HP server live until this is fixed - it has to be registered and updated!
I am assuming this error happens when scanning?
One thing you can try is stopping the "Automatic Updates" service and then rename SoftwareDistribution in the windows directory to SoftwareDistribution_old or something. Then start the service and try windows update again. It fixes a error that happens to me sometimes at the "downloading updates" point.
Remember IE should be closed when doing this ;)
EDIT: Also make sure your gateway ip is set correctly too as this can mess it up as well.
Fixed now.. It seems that the checkbox marked "Allow Windows Update" on the BLOXX command centre, doesn't actually do that. Had to add specific settings to the default group to allow that... Only took an hour or so with Bloxx tech support... ;)
It was during scanning. Tried what you said - had to stop the automatic updates service to allow me to rename the software distribution folder though. Still no joy, but you're right I had to do this in my last job (NHS) but we never found out why!
Both error messages I mentioned are not listened in the Microsoft Error codes.