I set a message to be displayed before logon (Interative Logon: Message title for users attempting to logon). The message was no longer needed to i said it back to not defined.
However, it appears on some machines only still. I have done gpupdate / force with no difference. Also doubled checked through the policys on both DC's and they are all not set.
When you do GP Results, are there any errors logged? Perhaps the machines are having trouble applying policies correctly?
No errors i can see - see output of result below:
OS Type: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Configuration: Member Workstation
OS Version: 5.1.2600
Domain Name: STUDENT
Domain Type: Windows 2000
Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
Local Profile: C:\Documents and Settings\radmin
Connected over a slow link?: No
CN=3IT1,OU=IT1,OU=IT Rooms,OU=Curriculum Computers,OU=All Computers,DC=student,DC=braytoncollege,DC=org,DC=u k
Last time Group Policy was applied: 25/01/2008 at 14:04:27
Group Policy was applied from: w2kserver.student.braytoncollege.org.uk
Group Policy slow link threshold: 500 kbps
Applied Group Policy Objects
IT Rooms Only
[UPD 10-04-06] Curriculum Software
All Computers [UPD 10-04-06]
Entire Domain [UPD 10-04-06]
Local Group Policy
The computer is a part of the following security groups:
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
When i run netdiag i get "The procedure entry point DNSGetPrimaryDomainName_UTF8 could not be located in the DLL DNSAPI.dll
hold on, appears to be the wrong version of netdiag. will try again with the correct version
Do you use RIS?
We had a RIS image that basically would never pick up policy changes. I did not make the image and it was a little hacked but nothing would ever change on the PC if we changed policy and it was actually when I changed the same setting, I discovered the issue.
Could it be a dodgy ris image?
This looks like one of those annoying settings where there is no "disabled" option - only "not defined". Although I haven't tested it I suspect you will have to set the contents of the message text and the message title policies to be empty, but still applied (i.e. box ticked in the GPO setting).. on the client run a gpupdate /force.. then in the policy set it back to not defined and gpupdate /force the client again.
Some settings seemingly won't "undefine" if they have a value set.
Some GPO settings will remain if you set (enable) them first, then set them to not defined. You'll have to set it to disabled.
I'm pretty sure that setting doesn't have a "disabled" option which is the root of the problem, but the palaver I outlined is probably the next best thing.
Originally Posted by rvdmast