+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Fujitsu Siemens Laptop Recovery. in Technical; Hi, Im trying to fix a work colleagues old fujitsu Amilo a1650 which is appearing with an error message on ...

Thank Post

Fujitsu Siemens Laptop Recovery.

Hi,

Im trying to fix a work colleagues old fujitsu Amilo a1650 which is appearing with an error message on boot that the system file in Sys32 is lost or damaged. Normally I would just put in the recovery disk and fix it but the person im trying to fix it for has lost the disk. There is no recovery partition and I am unable to boot in safe mode. I have removed the HDD and hooked it up to my USB to IDE adaptor and backed up all of the files on it. I have then contacted Fujitsu Siemens to request an OEM XP recovery disk but they no longer provide them for this range of laptops due to its age and have recommended I get a 3rd party copy of XP. Am I correct in thinking that you cannot use an OEM license key on a retail version for a reinstall? but will you need a product key just for a repair of the OS? Or is there anywhere I can download an ISO OEM Copy? I dont think he will want to shell out for a new copy of XP due to the age of the machine. Would appreciate any guidance
    Last edited by mwrighty; 13th August 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Thank Post
    There should be an XP sticker on the laptop indicating home or pro, and the license key.

OEM copies have drivers and cr@pware bundled on them, but i have used a Dell one on a non Dell laptop in the past.

Thank Post
    I delete the five registry files in the System32 – Config folder. ( System, Security, Sam, Software and Default).

Copy the files from a recent system restore snapshot in the System Volume Information folder and copy them into the config folder and rename.
    I find it fixes the problem in virtually all cases.

4. Thanks to mrwobbly from:

mwrighty (14th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwobbly View Post
    I delete the five registry files in the System32 – Config folder. ( System, Security, Sam, Software and Default).

Copy the files from a recent system restore snapshot in the System Volume Information folder and copy them into the config folder and rename.
    I find it fixes the problem in virtually all cases.

Hi thanks for your quick reply, I will try and give this a go when I get back hold of my IDE adaptor (a friend has borrowed it)

Thank Post
    Usually I just use a live CD in the original machine and it only takes about 5 minutes and has saved me hundreds of hours over the years.

Thank Post
    Well I originally tried booting puppy linux and ubuntu from both a USB and from a CD but neither worked, A splash screen came up for puppy linux then just a blank black screen with a flashing cursor

Thank Post
    Right a quick update, ive got back hold of my HDD adaptor, taken out the HDD of the laptop and moved the registry items from the recovery folder. I reinstalled the HDD and all i get is a blank screen with a flashing cursor. When i F8 to safe boot i get the options up for safe boot, with networking etc. but it starts running through the files and just stops. All of the recovers disks are lost and the only option I think im left with is a fresh install. all of the personal data on the machine has been backed up when i plugged it in using my HDD adaptor. Since I dont have the recovery discs what options do I have? As difinity has written above is it possible to use a different OEM copy of XP such as a dell or samsung and still use the legitimate OEM License key?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread