+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Mouse not working following Ghosting in Technical; Hi all. I'm going to totally loose it here. So this is a bit of a long shot to see ...

Thank Post

Mouse not working following Ghosting

Hi all.

I'm going to totally loose it here. So this is a bit of a long shot to see if anyone might have some ideas on a stupid issue I've suddenly got.

Set up a new image of Win XP SP3, fully patched on a template system with necessary software etc installed. Sorted settings and profiles etc. Sysprep done to automatic and image captured by Ghost. After the Ghosting the PC starts up fine and sets up correctly, all is good.

Send the image to an identical PC for testing. Image rolls out as expected and mini setup completes. However, now when Windows loads the mouse pointer does not move. I've logged in to check and it isn't showing in the device manager. If I unplug / replug the device in, the system shows that its seen it, but still no movement. I'm getting two entries for human computer interface when the mouse is in, but no entry in the mouse properties hardware section.

I've checked the mouse works in another computer and tried other mice in the dodgy system, still no joy.

Waiting for "sfc /scannow" to check the PC and sending the image to another system just in case.

Both the template PC and the test one were using the exact same spec and type of mouse.

I've been Googleing with no joy. Would anyone have any ideas as to what on earth might be going on?

Thanks everyone. This is just nuts!!

Cheers:
    Mike.

Thank Post
    we have had a problem like this with a RIS install. Corrupt mouse.inf and/or mouse.pnf it sees a mouse as a hid device, but does not install an actuall mouse. We copied a known good copy of both of these files via start up script to machines we already built, and replaced the one in the image and all was well.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply Oaktech.

After a week off I seem to have lost my rhythm. I don't seem to have a mouse.inf or mouse.pnf on any of our XP systems. All the working drivers I've found look like C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mouclass.sys or C:\Windows\System32\mouhid.sys. I've replaced the input.inf and input.pnf as they seemed the closet match but have made no difference (it was a long shot).

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Oh god, my bad... it's msmouse.inf and msmouse.pnf

in the c:\windows\inf folder. they tend to look OK, but not work.

try swapping them for some from a known good machine.

Thank Post
    Ha! We're on the right track. Copied a full inf folder to see what would happen and that seemed to fix it. Thanks again Oaktech. I can now do some more digging to find the exact file, I'm guessing its the ones starting "hid".

Cheers:
    Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcowley View Post
    Ha! We're on the right track. Copied a full inf folder to see what would happen and that seemed to fix it. Thanks again Oaktech. I can now do some more digging to find the exact file, I'm guessing its the ones starting "hid".

Cheers:
    Mike.
    Just to save you time. Use the ghost explorer and drop them into your .gho file, that way you dont need to recapture your image.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread