+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, windows XP - AHCI mode in bios in Technical; Hi, Can anyone please advise, we have some pretty new machines with SSD hdd that need sp3 xp imaged onto ...

Thank Post

windows XP - AHCI mode in bios

Hi,
    Can anyone please advise, we have some pretty new machines with SSD hdd that need sp3 xp imaged onto them. A fresh install gives a blue screen, but I've found that disabling AHCI mode in the BIOS allows it to install.
    The hard drive in the bios now shows as an IDE drive instead of a SATA?
    Is the performance taking a hit in this mode?
    Do I need to maybe load some controller drivers etc?
    Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, this will be both limiting the performance and possibly lowering the lifespan of the drives thanks to an emulated mode. Running XP which has no TRIM support will also not help any with their longevity, reliablity or speed.

XP needed a disk drive to put textmode storage drivers in with a standard CD, you can integrate the drivers manually or just use nLight to integrate the drivers onto a new CD to get as much performance as you'll manage out of XP and life out of the drives.

In all seriousness, if you are using SSDs look at Windows 7 as it actually supports them fully rather than a half solution lible to cause problems as time goes on without extra matinence (low level wipes and reinstalls every six months to deal with dirtied clusters.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yes, this will be both limiting the performance and possibly lowering the lifespan of the drives thanks to an emulated mode. Running XP which has no TRIM support will also not help any with their longevity, reliablity or speed.

XP needed a disk drive to put textmode storage drivers in with a standard CD, you can integrate the drivers manually or just use nLight to integrate the drivers onto a new CD to get as much performance as you'll manage out of XP and life out of the drives.

In all seriousness, if you are using SSDs look at Windows 7 as it actually supports them fully rather than a half solution lible to cause problems as time goes on without extra matinence (low level wipes and reinstalls every six months to deal with dirtied clusters.
    Great reply! Thank for this.
    Unfortunately XP is the only option for right now.

So can I now add the drivers with AHCI disabled and then create a new image? Then switch ahci back on?
    Or do I need to install from scratch?
    Could I add them to a WIM?

Thanks for this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure about the install then switch method, I think it is possible but probably quite complex. Windows stores its boot storage adapter drivers in the registry and to install the hardware into the appropriate databases and activate it in the right way the hardware needs to be present which it is not if it is switched to emulation mode. You may be able to install the drivers with an installer then sysprep it which will kick it back to generic drivers which should boot under native then apply the right ones.

Not sure about its WIM compatibility, I have never used offline servicing on an XP WIM as we started playing with WIM with Vista then 7.

The best course would probably be a fresh install with the drivers integrated to the CD and AHCI switched on. I'd also check for any additional matinence software from the SSD vendors that may be able to trigger TRIM operations or anything simmilar which may help with performance long term. I think that most of those apps dried up though due to the reduced usage of XP.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is a good guide:
    Installing Windows XP With F6 AHCI/RAID Drivers From USB Only - FlashBoot and EBCD Articles

Actually, a little extra looking found this:
    Change XP from IDE to AHCI mode post install [Archive] - Overclockaholics Forums
    Looks like depending on the driver it may be possible to just change it over thanks to the way XP handles mass storage driver installs. I feel silly for not having thought of it before.

Right clock my computer
    Select manage
    Open Device manager
    Open IDE/ATA
    ATAPI Controllers
    Right click the storage device you want to switch to AHCI
    mode
    Select update driver, do not search and have disk.
    Browse to your
    extracted drivers click the one you want (AHCI) and ok

For Z68 (and
    probably P67 now to) the new Intel drivers changed the name to
    "Intel
    Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI
    controller"

Restart changing BIOS to AHCI mode and reboot. new device
    will be found. XP will install driver automatically and require another restart
    (ahhh remember the good ole XP days, restarting every time you installed
    something *sigh)
    For once XP's archaic behaviour has a benifit

Thank Post
    you should also be able to inject the sata drivers if you use mdt but ssd and xp are supposed to be a good way of killing the ssd prematurely

Thank Post
    Thanks for advice. Rebuilt the image from scratch and used F6 to add the ahci drivers... all good
    Tried to replace the old drivers with various methods without success so just rebuilt the image.
    Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    When you say AHCI Drivers which ones are you referring to ?

I only ask as on the Lenovo downloads page I think you get either the intel matrix storage manager which have some files like the ones mentioned or you get the chipset drivers ??

Lenovo website --> Click on Support --> Click on Drivers & Downloads link on left top corner --> enter model number ( in my case 7514A87 ) and then what ??
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 7th August 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    When you say AHCI Drivers which ones are you referring to ?

I only ask as on the Lenovo downloads page I think you get either the intel matrix storage manager which have some files like the ones mentioned or you get the chipset drivers ??
    Followed the guide from their site:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFQQFjAA&url=http%3A %2F%2Fdownload.lenovo.com%2Fibmdl%2Fpub%2Fpc%2Fpcc bbs%2Fthinkcentre_drivers%2Finstalling_retail_wind owsxp.pdf&ei=lNcgUKDYJsn80QWx4YEo&usg=AFQjCNEKV5S9 j5LTUvEBggZGZ1k1HazVUg

10. Thanks to burgemaster from:

mac_shinobi (7th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by burgemaster View Post
    Followed the guide from their site:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...ggZGZ1k1HazVUg
    Once I quoted your comment it gave me the correct link, doh

which gave me this :

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub..._windowsxp.pdf

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread