+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Windows Thread, Free change management software? in Technical; Hello all, Anyone know of a free simple changement management system?. Would like to know the window's version because we ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    748
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Free change management software?

    Hello all,

    Anyone know of a free simple changement management system?. Would like to know the window's version because we don't use any type of linux or unix system at present.

    TIA.

    Ashok.

  2. #2
    tarquel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Powys, Mid-Wales, UK
    Posts
    1,740
    Thank Post
    13
    Thanked 45 Times in 35 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: Free change management software?

    When you say change management system...um....what do you mean exactly? *sorry if im thick lol*

    Post again with more details please

    Nath

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    748
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Free change management software?

    Hi Nath,

    What we are trying to do is to implement the FITS (Framework for IT support) and i'm after a software that allow you to capture info about particular device ie. .server. Basically this software aids in change management in the sense that it keeps a history of all the changes that are applied to a particular device i.e. installed a new disk, resized partitions to give you some example.

    I have knocked up a access database which captures info like this but was thinking if there is any software available.

    Having bleming over 680PCs, 10 Servers, 45 Swictches and gods know how many printers it makes it really hard to manage and control changes to any of these.

    Change management deals with how you handle a change ie.. what process you follow in order to get the change implemented, reviewed and authorised etc.

    CM is part of FITS processes ---> http://www.becta.org.uk/fits

    Ashok.

  4. #4

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: Free change management software?

    IRM (http://www.stackworks.net/view.php/irm/index.html) does this and it includes a helpdesk, storing faults regarding a particular asset.

  5. #5

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,985
    Thank Post
    735
    Thanked 559 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: Free change management software?

    interestly enough was at conference yesterday and windows vista does this automaticly..

    Russ

  6. #6

    Ric_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    7,601
    Thank Post
    110
    Thanked 771 Times in 599 Posts
    Rep Power
    183

    Re: Free change management software?

    Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    interestly enough was at conference yesterday and windows vista does this automaticly..

    Russ
    Does it fix the problems too?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    490
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Free change management software?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    interestly enough was at conference yesterday and windows vista does this automaticly..

    Russ
    Does it fix the problems too?
    we can all hope...

  8. #8

    russdev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    6,985
    Thank Post
    735
    Thanked 559 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    206

    Re: Free change management software?

    lol yes

    one idea thought was good with vista server the plan is that if pc is not patched up etc it moves it to quartine area..

    got to say lot of it is moving towards linux route for example the su command in linux will be something simlair in vista.

    Russ

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Free change management software?

    Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    Hi Nath,

    What we are trying to do is to implement the FITS (Framework for IT support) and i'm after a software that allow you to capture info about particular device ie. .server. Basically this software aids in change management in the sense that it keeps a history of all the changes that are applied to a particular device i.e. installed a new disk, resized partitions to give you some example.

    I have knocked up a access database which captures info like this but was thinking if there is any software available.

    Having bleming over 680PCs, 10 Servers, 45 Swictches and gods know how many printers it makes it really hard to manage and control changes to any of these.

    Change management deals with how you handle a change ie.. what process you follow in order to get the change implemented, reviewed and authorised etc.

    CM is part of FITS processes ---> http://www.becta.org.uk/fits

    Ashok.
    You could always look at our system 'Parago' which was designed for this exact purpose, we also have met with Becta several times to make sure we have implemented everything that FITS requires.

    We track changes of every bit of software and hardware on anything that is running our agent (which run's on 98 upwards, unlike the vista solution which obviously is vista only.)

    http://www.itvision.net/ if your interested

  10. #10
    ajbritton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wandsworth
    Posts
    1,632
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 75 Times in 45 Posts
    Rep Power
    35

    Re: Free change management software?

    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I understood change management to be a bit more than just keeping track of what is on your PC. The change management process is designed to formalize any changes to the configuration of the system (adding users or software, reconfiguring services etc), to plan the implementation of the change, the impact, the risks, a backout plan etc. I can't see anything in Parago or IRM which does any of this. They both look like assett management programs.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Free change management software?

    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I understood change management to be a bit more than just keeping track of what is on your PC. The change management process is designed to formalize any changes to the configuration of the system (adding users or software, reconfiguring services etc), to plan the implementation of the change, the impact, the risks, a backout plan etc. I can't see anything in Parago or IRM which does any of this. They both look like assett management programs.
    IRM is certainly only asset management. Parago does only automate the process of tracking hardware changes. The act of tracking anything else does have to be done manually, we have fields for storing information for this purpose. We also track movement of any kind of asset (e.g. desks, chairs, hardware and people) Plus we have objects that cover a whole other range of things within schools even down to microwaves..

  12. #12


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Rep Power
    341

    Re: Free change management software?

    We are also implementing FITS,
    RequestTracker is excellent and suits our needs exactly, it does not keep track of hardware/software change automatically, but uses a ticketing system for support requests. Different types of hardware can be tracked by adding dropdown boxes eg - for asset numbers, mac addresses etc.

    RT can be used for change management because of its flexibility. It is has an excellent FAQ manager (The Request Tracker Faq Manager, RTFM!) that can be used to log configuration changes.
    The documentation is good but the real support lies in the mailing group.
    It even runs on windows as its perl (as usual, better functionality on nix)
    http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

    we use OCS for inventory/software asset management http://sourceforge.net/projects/ocsinventory
    multiplatform

  13. #13

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438

    Re: Free change management software?

    I've converted the change request form from becta into an access db with a form to fill in the information. Have been using this for a coupel of weeks now to input requests. Just downloaded a M$ template for a issue tracker db too as another part of my fits implemenation.

    RT looks really good and I might switch to that for tracking faults not sure about using it for change management though.

    Also using the M$ asset template for assets with all the different option launched from a switchboard.

    Ben



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Free MS Tool Change Analysis Diagnostic
    By thom in forum Windows
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th February 2009, 09:59 AM
  2. Free Switch IT Off stickers + Power management tools
    By OverWorked in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th October 2007, 11:40 AM
  3. classroom management software
    By eastlondon in forum Windows
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 26th July 2006, 02:08 PM
  4. Network Management Software
    By towen in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th June 2006, 07:58 PM
  5. Project Management Software
    By steve in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th June 2006, 08:47 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •