+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows XP - Active Desktop Issues in Technical; Hi All. I have read a few post's regarding issues with active desktop recovery problems whilst using roaming profiles. I ...
    M0MST

Windows XP - Active Desktop Issues

Hi All.

I have read a few post's regarding issues with active desktop recovery problems whilst using roaming profiles. I only use roaming profiles for staff. I had to implement a block in group policy to stop anyone changing their backgrounds, which seems pretty standard in most environments. However since then one or two staff have been getting the active desktop recovery white page as a desktop. I have seen a post on the Microsoft Tech Net about deleting a registry entry which should solve the issue.

"
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components]
    "DeskHtmlVersion"=dword:00000000
    "DeskHtmlMinorVersion"=dword:00000005
    "Settings"=dword:00000001
    "GeneralFlags"=dword:00000000

"

This will work if you run the script on the local users profile, reboot and then it comes back as normal. However after a few days the problem seems to occur again. I have tried pushing this registry out via group policy with some success, however not on all accounts. I personally feel the issues are not being helped by staff being logged in more than once at different machines. This also seems to create issues with logon scripts, as you can see in pic2, shared folders become v2 and so do their local profiles. I have 2 questions, which someone may know the answer to.

Is there an easy way in windows xp / server 2008r2 environment to stop multiple logins.

And also, is there a better way to stopping backgrounds being changed. I current use a group policy based around adding a 1x1 bmp image to the desktop on logon and locking it there, I currently use method shown in pic3.

Any help / advice would be great.

BTW, I am also just running delprof2 on all machines to wipe out any outstanding profiles.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Active Desktop was only available on Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6 installed. When you install IE7 or IE8 on XP, Active Desktop was removed by Microsoft. Active Desktop isn't available on Vista or 7 either.

It's normal that profiles in Vista or 7 end in .v2. Windows will intelligently use the correct profile version it requires.

I'm not entirely sure why your shares are being renamed .v2. Shares should stay the same between XP and 7 for example.

There isn't a way to stop concurrent logins in a Windows environment. Microsoft did release an unsupported product called LimitLogon, although a better alternative is a product called Userlock.

If you block/restrict access to Control Panel, this should stop users changing their wallpaper.

M0MST
    Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply.

As I belived, active desktop is no longer used in XP. Strange that these issues occur to be honest. The PC's have all been supplied with IE7 or higher and have never seen 6, which raises the question should it come up at all. I feel its my BMP GP that causes this to be honest. We have a complete XP only domain, so we have no .V2 profiles, just some of the desktop shares get that, However I think I have solved this.

I inherited the server with staff having roaming profiles, as well as redirected desktops and favorites. I have a feeling that the roaming profile becomes confused as to which desktop to load. In the redirected folders the favorites are all empty, so roaming profiles must ignore that feature, however staff desktops have items in the redirected folder, and then again in their profiles. However the items in the redirected folder are all fine, but the items in the profile show the v2 v3 folders. Also, with this configuration, if delete something from the desktop, it disappears from their screen as well as the redirected folder, but stays in the profile path, I have come across some 4gb profiles, and they moan that laptops are slow to log in.

I am going to change all staff profiles to local today, as they use the same PC's 99% of the time, and moan about login times, this will make them happy im sure.

Re Blocking control panel, that's fine, its the right click set as desktop that causes the headaches.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Well even if you install XP with SP3 as new, it'll still have IE6. You have to manually install IE7 or IE8 (recommended).

It does sound like a profile issue which is causing Active Desktop error messages to appear. If the profiles are 4GB in size, they could easily become corrupted and create a whole range of problems.

The reason I say disable access to Control Panel, is because when you right click the desktop, it'll open Display Properties which is a Control Panel function.

M0MST
    Thanks for reply

Ill try local profiles today

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread