+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Windows Thread, Policy Central 5.1 in Technical; @ ToyHeartsFan - to answer your other question, I don't have anything to do with Policy Central, other than to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    @ToyHeartsFan - to answer your other question, I don't have anything to do with Policy Central, other than to make sure it's installed. I leave the rest up to senior management per school. As far as I'm aware, no one uses filtering as you do.

I do agree it is directly a Forensic problem rather than Link2ICT, however, Link2ICT have taken the decision to deploy Forensic updates silently on networks they don't manage. It's incredibly high risk in my opinion. I'd much rather opt out and just be told to deploy a new MSI. This way I can test in-house myself, then deploy network wide. I haven't got the time to setup my own Policy Central server, or host it on any existing server. It's just another responsibility to my growing list!

The point is I work at numerous schools and if it wasn't for my quick thinking uninstalling Policy Central, the school I was at today would of basically had an unusable network. Workstations freezing left, right and centre which is unacceptable as I am sure you'll agree. I've logged a call with Link2ICT and not heard anything back today.

David always does a fab job I agree and my comments are not aimed at any individuals, but clearly a policy refresh is needed. Forensic do periodically publish buggy updates which are having disastrous implications on staff doing their jobs and pupils learning.

Thank Post
    Strange...

I’ve just checked two PCs in our Suite at random in add remove programs it still shows the version as 4.1 because it was deployed by msi but on the task bar it shows it has upgraded to V5.1.3.

There are no errors in the event logs other than adobe flash player update service (thanks adobe arrgggh) and I spent a few mins opening various web sites including Eportal and nothing crashed! It would be nice if the filtering worked though…

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    @ToyHeartsFan The point is I work at numerous schools and if it wasn't for my quick thinking uninstalling Policy Central, the school I was at today would of basically had an unusable network. Workstations freezing left, right and centre which is unacceptable as I am sure you'll agree.
    It does sound like the old Policy central bug - strange we don't seem to be having a problem yet. Only thing I can think of is to check your Sophos settings there were a number of exclusions you needed for policy central also HIPS scanning of suspicious files is off.

I'm just hoping that we don't start having the same problems and that they can fix the filtering bug.

Thank Post
    The Sophos exceptions are in place, so I know what you're talking about As I say, as soon as PC was removed the computer worked as expected.

David's been in touch and he's put the deployment on hold for the time being

Thank Post
    By conducting additional tests, there definitely appears to be an issue between IE9 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 with Policy Central 5.1.3.0.

Installing a revised update Policy Central 5.1.4.1 appears to resolve the problem and stops IE9 crashing frequently.

Thank Post
    V5.1.3.0 worked ok for us until the last batch of Microsoft updates that were released during the summer holiday then I started getting reports of computers freezing / crashing (we are still using XP).

I allocated V5.1.4.1 which seemed to stop the freezing / crashing but now every time publisher 2003 (yes I know it's out of the ark) is opened it crashes.

“Microsoft Publisher has encountered a problem and needs to close”

Because publisher is working ok on the PC I use for package building (doesn’t have PCE installed) and the computers have the same microsoft updates / applications installed I’m pointing the finger at policy central as the likely cause of the problem.

Is anyone else having this problem? They have now decided that EES licence might be a good idea after all but want confirmation that if we upgrade office the problem will go away. So it would be great if someone could say yes they have publisher 2003 and its doing the same but they also have a machine with publisher 2007 / 2010 and thats working ok.

Thank Post
    I can confirm. I am having an issue between IE9 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Policy Central 5.1.3.0.
    PC locks up and wont go into task manager and requiring a hard reset happens a lot when using Eportal, just marking about 5 kids and it crashes

Thank Post
    We host PCE locally and after upgrading to V5 at the start of the summer break found that IE was taking an age to load (IE 8 and 9). We also moved it to a new 2008 server. As we were making some changes elsewhere, as one does during the summer break we didn't have time to figure out what was breaking what and how so reverted the whole lot back to V4.
    Since then we found some of our other changes caused a few problems and have fixed those but reading this thread I'm glad I made the decision to revert to V4.

On a side note:- Do users of the V5 console find that it takes twice as long to sort through the captures? V4 was as easy as click on Total Unviewed captures and sort on type. V5 seems to want me to select from a number of dropdown menus to achieve the same result. Did I miss something (I don't have it installed anywhere at the moment)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    I can confirm. I am having an issue between IE9 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 with Policy Central 5.1.3.0.
    PC locks up and wont go into task manager and requiring a hard reset happens a lot when using Eportal, just marking about 5 kids and it crashes
    You should give V5.1.4.1 a go then just be aware it breaks Publisher 2003!

V5.1.4.1 stopped our freezing / crashing issue (on XP though) but broke Publisher 2003 Forensic are aware of the Publisher problem and are working on a fix. Speaking to David at link2ict so far the only version of Publisher that seems to have been broken is the 2003 version they have not had reports from people using newer versions of publisher.

As a temp work around David has added the publisher exe to the policy central exclusions list until Forensic release an update. This should stop it crashing if link2ict are hosting it for you. If you host it yourself and still use publisher 2003 you might want to add publlisher to the exclusion list until they release the next version.

Thank Post
    We had an issue on Windows 7 clients with PCE version 5 (I think it was 5.1??), where it crashed IE and then the PC would grind to a halt. We skipped the update, and Forensic have since updated us to a newer version, but the console is still a little slow to respond. We are yet to turn Auto Update back on as we want to test it on a few PC's first. Luckily it was during the holidays so only affected a few admin PC's...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonThompson View Post
    We had an issue on Windows 7 clients with PCE version 5 (I think it was 5.1??), where it crashed IE and then the PC would grind to a halt. We skipped the update, and Forensic have since updated us to a newer version, but the console is still a little slow to respond. We are yet to turn Auto Update back on as we want to test it on a few PC's first. Luckily it was during the holidays so only affected a few admin PC's...
    V5.1.3.0. Started causing us problems after the last round of MS updates (we are XP though)
    V5.1.4.1 is the latest version they have made public (unless they have given you a pre release version) and this version seems better (other than it breaks Publisher 2003).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    V5.1.3.0. Started causing us problems after the last round of MS updates (we are XP though)
    V5.1.4.1 is the latest version they have made public (unless they have given you a pre release version) and this version seems better (other than it breaks Publisher 2003).
    I can't remember the exact number, but I know we went from 4.x to 5.x and it killed everything. We are currently running 5.1.4.2, which we updated the server too on Friday. We'll let you know how we get on with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonThompson View Post
    When V5 was running on our 2003 server the console was dreadfully slow. It was OK on the 2008 server though. Pity it killed the clients though :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    When V5 was running on our 2003 server the console was dreadfully slow. It was OK on the 2008 server though. Pity it killed the clients though :-)
    Our PCE console is installed on server 2008. It was really slow on the earlier 5.1 release, but seems alot better now (though still seems slow compared to previous versions).

Thank Post
    I spoke with David today and I think this is going to be the plan of action

Running the Policy Central 5 server doesn't mean you need to run the Policy Central 5 client on workstations. It works absolutely fine with Policy Central 4 client. By creating a script and running the unist.exe application, this will clear any existing Policy Central installation. After say 48 hours, you can then re-deploy Policy Central 4 via MSI.

David I believe intends to no longer deploy the Policy Central 5 client unless a school specifically requests it, or they discover a new problem. Policy Central 4 has been pretty solid for 12 months and as I wrote above, it still works with Policy Central 5 server.

16. 2 Thanks to Michael:

alan-d (7th September 2012), stevenlong1985 (6th September 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast