+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, So I bought a computer off ebay... in Technical; Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report Report Date: 07/15/2012 Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 03:13:21 Driver Version: 6.14.10.4410 Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, ...

Thank Post

So I bought a computer off ebay...

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report

Report Date: 07/15/2012
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 03:13:21
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.4410
    Operating System: Windows XP* Professional, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 2047 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 11 MB
    Processor: x86
    Processor Speed: 3391 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2582
    Device Revision: 04

* Accelerator Information *

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Video BIOS: 3414
    Current Graphics Mode: 1400 by 1050 True Color (60 Hz)

This machine costed me 105 pounds, so i'm thinking i got it rather cheaply, the problem i'm having is that I can't run this flash game called "wakfu" without a whole load of graphic lag. Will buying a new graphics card resolve this issue? And if so which graphics card shall i get? I want to dual client this game 3 times at least.
    Last edited by MelodicBrush; 15th July 2012 at 03:14 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hate to be the one that says it but sorry, that's not rather cheap - from the little information there (graphics chipset and likely processor type) that's a £50 PC at most
    Still it should run Flash stuff ok though, however flash acceleration from graphics cards is only a recent thing. Most the graphics cards I could suggest are worth another £50 but I would strongly suggest seeing if you can borrow one first as proof of concept. Be careful though, that chipset could either be pci express *or* AGP

Thank Post
    Ok, well what can I do to upgrade it? What shall I get? What is compatible? And you say its a 50 pound machine but where sells machines like this at prices like that?

Thank Post
    What is it?

What is the actual spec?

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    most machines off Ebay, as you can buy something brand new of equal spec (but modern and upgradable) for £200. 3.3ghz on a 915 chipset motherboard will be the last range of Pentium 4 processors and absolutely the fastest you can go on that mainboard. You've plenty of RAM in it for a machine that age, leaving the only choice for upgrade as a graphics card, but not sure it's worth spending the money on. Like I said, borrow a graphics card from somewhere (got one at work?) and see if it makes a difference.

Example, ICT Direct flog Core2Duo machines for £150 with warranties and what-not. As they're still pretty much upgradable to some damn decent machines (quad core, plenty of memory) they're worth the money.

My reasoning for cost of your machine : processor bought anywhere - £9.99, intel 915 chipset socket 775 mainboard £14, 2GB pc5300 £20 (most expensive part as memory, when it gets older often goes up in value) case and power supply negatable, HDD negatable.
    Last edited by synaesthesia; 15th July 2012 at 11:32 AM.

Thank Post
    Theres nothing i can borrow from anyone.

Ok, just to make things simpler for myself, can anyone provide me with a link to a machine or a good computer site that can provide me with cheap machines that can run with decent graphics. Whats the best machine I can buy for 100-200 pounds?
    Last edited by MelodicBrush; 15th July 2012 at 12:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodicBrush View Post
    Theres nothing i can borrow from anyone.

Ok, just to make things simpler for myself, can anyone provide me with a link to a machine or a good computer site that can provide me with cheap machines that can run with decent graphics. Whats the best machine I can buy for 100-200 pounds?

Any machine you buy for that much money will do about as much processing as the notes themselves...

I would suggest saving up about 400-500 for a basic decent computer, otherwise you will be wasting your money.

What is the spec of the unit you have?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodicBrush View Post
    I want to dual client this game 3 times at least.
    I'm assuming that's another way of saying you want to multibox the game? From having a quick google at the game requirements you pretty much have 0 chance of running 3-4 sessions of the game on that ebay machine

Might be worth looking more at new cheap machines Cheap Laptops, Computers and Cheap LCD TVs | Ebuyer.com zoostorm being an example. You can get a pretty "ok" machine for now much more than you're paying for ebay stuff.

e.g.

£228.95
    - AMD A6 3500 Triple Core 2.1GHz
    - 8GB RAM + 750GB HDD
    - DVD Writer
    - AMD Radeon 6530D
    Not a power mad machine, but from what you've listed above I'm assuming still a lot more powerful than yours. Brand new, and with warranty etc etc. If it's just to box a game could always run linux etc on it too if you really wanted.

Doesn't seem much point forking out money on a decent graphics card for a machine that's on it's last limbs in terms of spec/expandability from ebay anyway

But just my personal opinion

Steve

Thank Post
    You really bought a bum machine there.. at best it might be a Pentium D but I don't know if they were only on 945 chipsets or better. It does sound like a P4 Prescott to me.. not worth a dime.

I wouldn't even attempt really to spend money on it. You can pick up basic/first gen core 2 machines on ebay from about the £40 mark (base unit only). Even HP DC7900 3ghz dual cores with 2GB RAM go for about £80-£90. I really hate to say it but.. you may have wasted your money big time =\

Currently on ebay I have listed an Acer tower, Core2 E6320 dual, gig ram, 80 hdd with 17" flatscreen, keyboard & mouse for £100 inc post. Really should shop around more - if you see something that looks reasonable, ask here first and i'm sure you'll get honest, useful opinions.

If I were you I'd look for a better machine - at least core 2 (or Pentium Dual-Core as it'd be upgradable, not Pentium D) and set yourself a max of about 100 quid, though likely can do it for about £75-£80.

[edit]For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hewlett-Pa...item416823e1b7 < cracking spec for about £100. We have a handful of these in the school, including the exact model for my office one and it flies. Can prob find this spec for about £80 too if you looked hard enough[/edit]
    Last edited by dgsmith; 15th July 2012 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Min requirements for that game are from around 2002 so pretty much any gfx card will do, however most internal intel ones recently are ok and should be fine for what you are looking at. Your PC looks like a P4 or Pentium D?? Which came from around 5-7 years ago, so its quite old for games. I agree with @Steve21 you will get much better performance with a new pc. I personally don't ever go for cheap though, its one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

Thank Post
    First check I’d make is into device manager to make sure they have installed the latest chipset and graphics drivers.

I’d be very interested in what processor it has. A Celeron of that time runs XP SP3 like you’re running through treacle. The lag on everything is painful. A cheap P4 CPU that the will motherboard supports from EBay could make all the difference.

Thank Post
    If it's not running as expected then download all the latest drivers you can and see if that makes a difference. What the person selling you most likely did was just install Windows XP SP3 and it happened to find a Windows driver that works so no missing drivers in Device Manager.

As previously suggested, download and install the latest Chipset Drivers and Graphics Drivers for your machine and that may speed up your computer so it can play your Flash game OK.

After those 2 drivers check Microsoft Updates out and see if that picks up any updates to your drivers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the responces guys, i've decided on taking the route of just buying a new computer all together, looking at the zoostorm site it seems to have some nice achievable prices, in the mean time im going to try downloading the drivers for this machine.

Anyone know where I can download these from? Or a site that can give me an automatic scan with the names of everything I need to update?

on system properties it says computer:

intel(R) pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40 GHz 3.39 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Zoostorm Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com
    Don't forgot to add a quiet PSU to the order...

Zoostorm PC Review (with AMD Vision A6-3500 APU) « Kit-Guru

The power supply is a Zoostorm branded unit and is located above the motherboard. This is clearly a ‘cost effective’ OEM unit, though, so caution is recommended when adding additional components to the system. Sadly, during testing we noticed that this power supply generates a lot of noise It is actually one of the loudest power supplies we have heard to date.

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (15th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast