+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Folder redirection - Unable due to restrictions on this computer in Technical; I've just had two cases of students unable to access their documents via the redirected My Documents icon on their ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Folder redirection - Unable due to restrictions on this computer

I've just had two cases of students unable to access their documents via the redirected My Documents icon on their desktop, when clicked they receive an error saying 'Unable to due to restrictions on this computer' however if they open or save as work they are able to use my computer then select the mapped drive for their documents. Permissions are fine and no changes have been made. GP is set to redirect to the users home directory granting exclusive rights to My Documents for all students. This has only happened to a select few, other students have also used the same computers before and after without any problems.

Checking the event log I get:

Failed to perform redirection of folder My Documents. The folder is configured to be redirected from <C:\Documents and Settings\Student11w\My Documents> to <\\DC1\Students$\2011\Student11W>. The following error occurred:
    The directory name is invalid.

The directory is valid, I logged on as a local admin account and copied the redirection path from event logs into explorer and entered a student account as the user which allowed me access. If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful as its very busy today!

Event logs also show the redirected start menus and desktops both to the same DC\shell$ work perfectly.
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 9th July 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Are there any indications in the event viewer? Or possibly run the group policy results wizard against that computer using that student's account?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hodgehi- I have edited my first post to include a few more details including the results of the event viewer. RSOP also displays the same 'The directory name is invalid' error

Thank Post
    I remember a similar problem and the message "The directory name is invalid. " referred NOT to the destination directory but to the source directory!

Make sure the users' profiles' folder structure has a "Desktop", "My Documents", and any other folder that you use redirection with. The fdeploy.dll that comes with SP3 handles folder redirection differently and will error out if the profile does not have those folders.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jklight View Post
    I remember a similar problem and the message "The directory name is invalid. " referred NOT to the destination directory but to the source directory!

Make sure the users' profiles' folder structure has a "Desktop", "My Documents", and any other folder that you use redirection with. The fdeploy.dll that comes with SP3 handles folder redirection differently and will error out if the profile does not have those folders.
    Thanks for the advice, all those folders are in the mandatory profile shared by all students.

One thing worth noting, our students passwords are set to expire and did monday so all users are having to change their password at logon, this started the same time as the my documents issue. today I've had 1 student with this problem, I logged the student off asked him to log on again...same issue. Tryed another students account on the computer and that worked fine. Changed the 1st students password and got him to try a 3rd time, yay it all worked fine!

Another problem with our students intranet homepage has occurred since the passwords began expiring.

"The requested URL could not be retrieved, unable to determine IP address from host name DC1
    Dns server returned Server failure: the name server was unable to process this query.
    This means that:
    The cache was not able to resolve the hostname present in the URL"
    Generated by our proxy which uses NTFS integrated authentication

All cases I've had with that are password expired students who changed them that session! All students who changed their password previously have no problems *touch wood* should all of changed their passwords by the end of this week......ready to forget them over summer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread