+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Windows Thread, Kodu 'Unsuitable Graphics Card' message in Technical; We have Kodu deployed across all our (identical) desktop PCs, using the same image on all of them, with the ...
  1. #1

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822

    Kodu 'Unsuitable Graphics Card' message

    We have Kodu deployed across all our (identical) desktop PCs, using the same image on all of them, with the same graphics drivers etc...

    However, some machines have decided to report 'unsuitable graphics card' messages...

    Anyone else come across this? I can't see why some machines would work and some wouldn't.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,787
    Thank Post
    572
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    626
    Can't help with that specific problem, but I do recall a piece of software (who's name now escapes me) having the same kind of problem back when I was in schools. IIRC, it was down, the developers said, to a corruption/version problem in the open GL drivers, but it would only affect certain machines even though all were identical. Unfortunately no matter what I tried, nothing but a re-image would sort out the problem.
    What cards/graphics do these machines have out of interest?

  3. #3

    CESIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,403
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 267 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    I had a similar issue with Sculptris recently...the program refused to run on a couple of machines in an identical because of graphics driver issues.

    I installed (or reinstalled if they were already updated) the latest drivers on the machines in question and the problem went away...

    [edit]The machines in question are using Intel on-board hardware BTW...

  4. #4
    jimmy_2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    191
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I had a similar issue with Sculptris recently...the program refused to run on a couple of machines in an identical because of graphics driver issues.

    I installed (or reinstalled if they were already updated) the latest drivers on the machines in question and the problem went away...

    [edit]The machines in question are using Intel on-board hardware BTW...
    Any of you using Net Support or other remote desktop software?

  5. Thanks to jimmy_2k from:

    localzuk (6th July 2012)

  6. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Intel graphics, and yep, we have NetSupport installed.

  7. #6
    mwbutler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    234
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    We have the same problem and we have RM Tutor installed which I believe is NetSupport just rebranded(?). ATI 5450 graphics cards too.

  8. #7

    CESIL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    1,403
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 267 Times in 198 Posts
    Rep Power
    168
    What's NetSupport?

  9. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    It does appear to be NetSupport causing this! We've just done some testing and when a teacher has it open, all sorts of problems occur...

    Good thing Impero is rolled out and we're switching people over to it for a complete removal of NetSupport this summer!!

  10. Thanks to localzuk from:

    russdev (9th July 2012)

  11. #9
    DrPerceptron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    34
    Thanked 133 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It does appear to be NetSupport causing this! We've just done some testing and when a teacher has it open, all sorts of problems occur...

    Good thing Impero is rolled out and we're switching people over to it for a complete removal of NetSupport this summer!!
    I believe there's a regkey you need to change to make it work... NetSupport remote control of a machine changes a key somewhere which then screws up some DirectX based applications. I thought the problem had been fixed in newer version of NSS though.


    Open the below registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\DCI

    Change the Timeout value to 7
    Last edited by DrPerceptron; 6th July 2012 at 02:33 PM.

  12. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

    mwbutler (9th July 2012)

  13. #10

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    I believe there's a regkey you need to change to make it work... NetSupport remote control of a machine changes a key somewhere which then screws up some DirectX based applications.
    Possibly to do with the inevitable mirror driver or conversion of user sessions primary display to an rdp session depending on the tool. This would account for the system reporting a limited video feature set to the application. You could look at procmon to see if you can figure out where it is pulling the wrong data from and force the reg keys back in those locations or use a compatibility shim to rewrite that chunk of the reg for just that app whenever it looks at the registry.

  14. #11
    mwbutler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    234
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    I believe there's a regkey you need to change to make it work... NetSupport remote control of a machine changes a key somewhere which then screws up some DirectX based applications. I thought the problem had been fixed in newer version of NSS though.


    Open the below registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\DCI

    Change the Timeout value to 7
    This solved the problem for us so thanks so much for the fix! Will this reg value constantly change when NetSupport (we use RM Tutor but it's the same thing) is used?

    Thanks again

  15. #12
    DrPerceptron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    911
    Thank Post
    34
    Thanked 133 Times in 113 Posts
    Rep Power
    40
    Yes it will do as far as I can remember... but I think you can also change the security permissions on that key and that should stop NSS/RMT from being able to modify that value.

    It's been a long time since I've used NetSupport School so I'm not really sure. Try it out on one machine is all I can say

  16. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

    mwbutler (9th July 2012)

  17. #13
    mwbutler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    234
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Yes it will do as far as I can remember... but I think you can also change the security permissions on that key and that should stop NSS/RMT from being able to modify that value.

    It's been a long time since I've used NetSupport School so I'm not really sure. Try it out on one machine is all I can say
    Ahh ! Looks like I'm going to have to play with the security settings then.

    Thanks again.

  18. #14

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbutler View Post
    Ahh ! Looks like I'm going to have to play with the security settings then.

    Thanks again.
    Not really necessary? Just have it update as part of a boot script or GPP, then fixing it is just a reboot away if anyone has an issue. Fiddling with registry permissions will be A Pain (TM)

  19. #15
    mwbutler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    234
    Thank Post
    97
    Thanked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not really necessary? Just have it update as part of a boot script or GPP, then fixing it is just a reboot away if anyone has an issue. Fiddling with registry permissions will be A Pain (TM)
    I already have it set this way (using GPP) but I can see the IT teachers wanting a better fix than having to restart everytime they want to use Kodu.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Screen Rotation on INTEL graphics cards
    By tobyhughes in forum Windows
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 6th December 2013, 02:54 PM
  2. Multi-monitor (2 or more graphics cards)
    By contink in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st August 2007, 08:47 PM
  3. graphics cards
    By browolf in forum Hardware
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 5th July 2007, 11:40 AM
  4. What Graphics Card
    By Doudar in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14th October 2006, 09:28 AM
  5. Graphics card for sale
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th July 2006, 01:00 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •