Poll: WMI...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Different group policy setup for room of computers problem! in Technical; Yeah... tried that [WMI filtering] yesterday... for some reason, it wouldnt work - tho I'm thinking that loopback policy might ...
    Thank Post

Re: Different group policy setup for room of computers problem!

Yeah... tried that [WMI filtering] yesterday... for some reason, it wouldnt work - tho I'm thinking that loopback policy might have a bearing on it.

Gonna head on over to the music room to see whether anything has changed [no VNC on it yet lol ].

Nath

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Thats the thing though tarquel in that it does apply how you would expect so something is not working quite right.

Ben

Thank Post

It seems we have lift off!!

Loopback Policy on the actual GPO where the user settings are held is working... even though the Group Policy Modelling says otherwise

Thanks for the help guys.
    Nath

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Different group policy setup for room of computers probl

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Yeah... tried that [WMI filtering] yesterday... for some reason, it wouldnt work
    WMI filtering is for applying GPOs based on the machines capabilities. eg, so you don't deploy Photoshop elements on a machine with 128mb of ram and a 32mb graphics card. Or the XP resource kit on a W2k PC.

Thank Post

Aye... but from what i read, you can do all sorts with it lol

i.e. if the machine name isnt "amonkey" then dont apply this GP [or vice versa]

I thought that sort of logic, amongst a whole host of stuff was possilble.

I read that it will only apply the GPO if the resultant WMI reads true.

But either way, its not important now

Nath.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Different group policy setup for room of computers probl

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    WMI filtering is for applying GPOs based on the machines capabilities. eg, so you don't deploy Photoshop elements on a machine with 128mb of ram and a 32mb graphics card. Or the XP resource kit on a W2k PC.
    It's more than just that (and not all of that - you couldn't do the XP resource kit thing because Windows 2000 doesn't know how to deal with WMI queries so basically the GPO will run whatever you do on a Windows 2000 machine!)
    There are some good examples of WMI filtering at http://blogs.technet.com/johnbaker/a...22/420286.aspx
    and if you want to find out about WMI in general then http://www.lissware.net/ is a good place to start. Alain seems to know more about WMI than anyone!

Thank Post

Not sure what u mean limbo..."
    OK - had not appreaciated it was all on the local machine, I assumed you would want the start menu and desktop to still be on the server to make it easier to update and we were only talking about mapping the my documents to a local location but I think my theory can still apply which is basically:-

If my documents is a mapped drive - say h:\ and currently it is \\server\smithj but you want it to be on the local computer instead then you can map \\localcomputername\c$\userdocuments\smithj to h: instead (or other appropriate local folder)

To trigger this if your network login script has a line that looks for the existience of a local login script (c:\logon.bat for example) then it can run it (if exist c:\logon.bat c:\logon.bat)

That local c:\logon.bat file can then run additional commands to the main logon script and they can be custom to that particular PC (so can be used for a wide variety of things depending on that particular machines needs).

In this case it could unmap the normal my documents folder (net use h: /delete) and then map the local one (net use h: \\%computername%\c$\userdocuments\%username%\) - it could also check for the existence of the folder and create it too if needs be.

Another, easier ot administer option - which is the one I tried to explain previosuly but did not do very well - is instead of checking for a local batch file (c:\logon.bat) you could check a network location for a batch file that matches the name of the machine (\\server\customlogonscript\%computername%.bat) and run it. This makes it easier to get at the scripts and change them, plus back them up etc.

Thank Post

Loopback Policy on the actual GPO where the user settings are held is working... even though the Group Policy Modelling says otherwise
    This may be a "grandmother sucking eggs" post but when I was playing with loopback in Group Policy modelling it never worked until I noticed the check box to turn on loopback processing. Once I ticked this it behaved as expected.

I presume that it does not actually evaluate the policy and so does not know that it should be turned on for specific instances and so needs you to tell it.

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12