+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Do i need to stop uusers right clicking still in Technical; Hi all we have for years stopped users right clicking in explorer, there were a nuber of valid reasons for ...

Thank Post

Do i need to stop uusers right clicking still

Hi all we have for years stopped users right clicking in explorer, there were a nuber of valid reasons for this (all of which i seem to have forgotten), can someone help my memory? why do i still need to block this if at all? does it pose any security risks? do you block it if so why?

as always thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Windows forum as it is a general question and not really security related.

Thank Post
    Is it not ? so it poses no security risk then ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo007 View Post
    Hi do you block it if so why?
    Generally we don't bother, with Win7 majority of the problems with right clicks can be stopped nowadays. Things like creating BATs/Shortcuts should be locked down without the need to remove rightclicking anyway.

Same with things like open location etc etc, shouldn't be anything they can actually do their that would matter that much.

Steve

5. 3 Thanks to Steve21:

pablo007 (1st July 2012), speckytecky (1st July 2012), zag (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Cheers steve we are still xp here on staff machines (they are laptops and we can't replace yet), helpful comments.

Thank Post
    I cant see how you can nowadays as so many applications have a right click context menu, just try it yourself for a day and look at how many times you use it and how difficult it is not to!
    There are bound to be a few people here defending the "security" aspect but just doing an email in outlook I was using the right click all the time during formatting etc must be an absolute pain for those that have it removed.
    Sage accounts has all of its shortcuts in an RC context and nearly every app I just tested has a customised use of the Right Click button.
    Gotta say, no right click seems to be a real productivity stopper nowadays.

8. 3 Thanks to m25man:

pablo007 (1st July 2012), SimpleSi (1st July 2012), speckytecky (1st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Our students have never had right-click and it has never been an issue. I inherited the network like that and there has never been a convincing argument to change for us.

10. Thanks to witch from:

pablo007 (1st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Our students have never had right-click and it has never been an issue. I inherited the network like that and there has never been a convincing argument to change for us.
    Devils advocate and all, What's it benefiting you for though? Would you have added it if it wasn't already in place?

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks Witch, fair comment Steve. there will have been valid reasons for sure but what?

Thank Post
    Disabling Explorer context menu is easy and that's a virtue.

Keeping it and getting rid of the stuff you might want gone is the hard part... previous versions, share with, briefcases, include in library, properties security tab and so on. Then there's 3rd party extensions - do you ban them all or permit some e.g. Intel's Graphics Options->Output To is usually needed on the desktop context menu on staff laptops for IWBs.

This is another area I think got nastier (than XP) with Win7.

14. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

pablo007 (1st July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Disabling Explorer context menu is easy and that's a virtue.

Keeping it and getting rid of the stuff you might want gone is the hard part... previous versions, share with, briefcases, include in library, properties security tab and so on. Then there's 3rd party extensions - do you ban them all or permit some e.g. Intel's Graphics Options->Output To is usually needed on the desktop context menu on staff laptops for IWBs.

This is another area I think got nastier (than XP) with Win7.
    But why can they access those areas in the first place if you don't want them to? Just removing it from context menu, won't stop them running any of that via shortcuts etc etc if you leave it enabled. Security tab etc etc shouldn't be changable by students anyway due to permissions.

Or the other option is just remove the bits you don't want from the context menu, end of day it's just a set of shortcuts to other areas. No need to disable whole menu imo.

But guess it's personal preference overall.

Steve

Thank Post
    If you have to remove a link to something that's insecure, you should have made it secure instead

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Disabling the context menu achieves nothing in my experience. Log on as an admin and take a look yourself.

If your GPOs are configured correctly, users will be unable to change the wallpaper for example as access would/should be denied.

It's important users learn about the context menu as well as shortcut keys. It also makes creating folders and managing data easier too.

Thank Post
    If anyone is blocking this, then you are an evil person.

Think about it from a users point of view, how enraging would it be to have a muscle memory of right clicking for a lot of things (eg copy/paste) only to find it disabled. It would drive me absolutely insane & anyone that thinks this is a good idea should be forced to have it disabled themselves and see how long they last.

If I came across a network setup like this, I would just assume that the network team are power tripping and disabling random stuff simply because they can. There's sod all justification for doing so.

We exist to serve users and if you provide them with a decent user experience it will go along way to keeping them happy.
    Last edited by DrCheese; 2nd July 2012 at 12:06 AM.

19. 4 Thanks to DrCheese:

iom100 (2nd July 2012), m25man (2nd July 2012), pete (2nd July 2012), winng (2nd July 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    If anyone is blocking this, then you are an evil person.

Think about it from a users point of view, how enraging would it be to have a muscle memory of right clicking for a lot of things (eg copy/paste) only to find it disabled. It would drive me absolutely insane & anyone that thinks this is a good idea should be forced to have it disabled themselves and see how long they last.

If I came across a network setup like this, I would just assume that the network team are power tripping and disabling random stuff simply because they can. There's sod all justification for doing so.

We exist to serve users and if you provide them with a decent user experience it will go along way to keeping them happy.
    I totally agree with you. We've given our users, both staff and students, right click on every version of Windows we've deployed that I've seen at our school (i.e. Win 2000+). I always look at features as if I'd be the user. Would I be annoyed it was disabled? Is the feature a nice to have, or is it pretty much core functionality? If I can do something to keep a feature in place whilst also maintaining security I will.

Heck the only reason I don't give every user their own profile and let them customise Windows to their heart's content is because I know some of them would abuse it and set the wallpapers etc to inappropriate images for a school environment.
    Last edited by Blue_Cookeh; 2nd July 2012 at 12:48 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast