+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Cannot clean build/restore image to CC3 domain in Technical; Hi all, I am sure that there is someone out there would can shed some light on my problem. I ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Cannot clean build/restore image to CC3 domain

Hi all,

I am sure that there is someone out there would can shed some light on my problem. I have a couple of workstations that I use to package build on.
    Up to this week there as not been a problem with them until a member of staff asked me to install some software. As I have not packaged built software for a few months and I could not remember if I have a clean image or not I decided to restore to my backed up clean image on the workstation.....Everything was going okay until this point:

Found Network card (Accton EN1297D-TX)
    Testing network connection
    initialising TCP/IP via DHCP...
    Microsoft DOS TCP/IP 1.0a

Could not locate Server...Could not resolve server name. This is usually a problem with the lmhosts file...blah blah blah.

I have check the LMhost and it has the correct IP and server name ***-SR-001.
    The only way I can get the machine to join the domain is to install XP then "smartclient" it onto the network.

Any Ideas???

Thank Post
    Back in my CC3 days, I could remember a few things that could affect this. First was make sure your DHCP scope hasn't run out of IP addresses and is functioning correctly. The next is some newer workstations with particular network cards act in a peculiar way with certain switches.

If these network cards don't detect a link within a predetermined set time, they drop the link to the switch. We had this with a new suite of computers and the advice was to update the NIC dos driver (which is different to the Windows one you would get when you smartclient the machine).

Next is to make sure spanning tree is not enabled in any way shape or form on the switch you are connected to. And if it is, make sure your costings are set up correctly.

If after all this, it still doesn't work, try finding another workstation with the same NIC and try building it up in

1. The original location, 2. The location you were trying to build your clean station

Thank Post
    How are you building the workstation? We used to use floppy disks, once we re-created the build disk on a new floppy it fixed this problem.

Thank Post
    is there a more up to date drive to place in the RM build manager has the existing one become corrupted somehow? I have the driver still in our build area if you need it just shout and I will send it over

Thank Post
    PS with package building, I use an acronis boot USB to create a .tib file of a clean machine (built to package build area) and also a test machine .tib (built to main site). All that needs to be done is a quick profile clean and it takes a couple of mins to swap between the images after package building. Made my life so easy!

Thank Post
    on CC3, for workstation build we used to invoke it either with a desktop shortcut or from a USB Key, on the USB key which booted into WinPE and we started the RM Workstation Build process from there. If all else failed we just had an XP image that would run Smartclient on first login, it was a bit of a pain but it worked. regarding your issue, what sort of switches are you using ? are you directly connected to the core ? or is it connected to a switch that goes to the core then connects to the servers ?

Thank Post
    Thanx Guys
    I Managed to find out the culprit!! Nic was picking up a 192.168 IP instead of one from the DHCP server, plus deleted and recreated Setup & packagebuilder accounts. Build process would only go so far so in the end I installed XP manually and then checked IP addie. Once IP renewed, recreated Builddisk and both machine built perfectly!!!

Its true that more heads are better than one!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread