+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 in Technical; Can somebody please help??!! i am trying to send an image to a few XP machience at a time using ...

Thank Post

Ghost Solution Suite 2.0

Can somebody please help??!! i am trying to send an image to a few XP machience at a time using the Symantec ghost software i have created the image and i need to deploy the image to several machiences. Please can somebody give me some advice on what i need to do. I have sent an image onc ebut after the image was sent it went to a sendinga nd acknowledge scren. Many thanks

Thank Post

Re: Ghost Solution Suite 2.0

To get out of the sending/receive screen press Cntrl-C (or is it X?) and when you get to the command prompt type ghreboot. That should get you back into windows.

The instruction manual for Ghost is pretty naff IMHO and there are a lot of steps you need to take in order to Ghost smoothly and effectively. Do you want to list what you have done and we can perhaps correct where you have gone wrong?

Thank Post

Opened the ghost console. New task. The named the task a specific name, and selected clone. Then selected the target machine i wished to send the image out to. Under network tab - selected unicast. I then selected the target image and saved it and executed the task.

Thank Post

I would also tick the configuration box after editing the workstations details so that it joins the domain automatically with the correct name. This should avoid the machine rebooting into send/receive/dos mode.

I normally use sysprep when creating my base images. If you haven't used sysprep then on the clone tab tick the "use ghostwalker" tick box.

If I am using a VLK licence then the key would be in the sysprep.ini file, I set the machine to join workgroup Z (Ghost rejoins it to the domain) and set all the other bits and pieces to automatically happen. I can then also tick the "deploy AI packages" and "transfer files", set all the settings there, press the button and the machine completely rebuilds from beginning to end without any further intervention. Some software goes out via AI packages, some via group policy. As does printer setups and Sophos. WSUS handles any new windows updates. All being well I can rebuild a suite of machines inside an hour with just the touch of a button and a few reboots.

Thank Post

thanks this should do it ill give it a go. If iv already used sys prep when creating the image i shouldnt need to select the ghost walker option?

Thank Post

Correct.

If you use AI packages then put them in a share which has auth user access so that the workstations can see them when they are not logged in and set them up in ghost so that they point to the unc path eg \\server\ghost$.

Thank Post

For unicasting I use Acronis True Image Workstation. It is especially good if you can't or can't be bothered to make ghost boot disks. It runs from a CD and doesnt need a server but can create images on a network shared folder. All the drivers for it to run on the network etc are built into the CD!

Thank Post

when i press cntrl + c it goes off that screen onto a black screen with a flashing underscore in the top left hand corner and when i try to restart it jsut goe sback to the screen any suggestions?

Thank Post

Try reghosting but this time use the configuration tab and settings.

As for Acronis True Image Workstation, you can do the same with the current version of Ghost Solutions Suite. We have a single CD and a single USB pen for booting up dead machines with practically all drivers we require. At the end of the day they are both excellent tools, you just need to know how to use them properly. My main gripe is the B@##£& awefull manuals!

Thank Post

iv tried re ghosting selecting the new options but it doesnt appear to do it

Thank Post

Doesn't appear to do what? Can you be a little more explicit about what you are doing and what is happening / where it breaks down? If you are back into the dos bit Ctrl-C should break out of the loop. What does the error log on GSS console say?

A good source of info is the Ghost Solutions Suite forum

Thank Post

once i pressed cntrl + c it went onto an underscore flashing. I attempted to re image it using the recomended options in this forum, it failed and said client timmed out?

Thank Post

If the client timed out then it was waiting for something to happen and it didn't. Did Ghost get as far as cloning the workstation? Once the workstation gets into the dos window it would normally thengo into the ghost clone window.

Watch carefully as the workstations boots into dos and see what it says about connectivity. Does it say that the driver is loaded, the network is connected and at what speed? What driver / DOS template are you using for the workstation? Is it the right one?

Thank Post

it didnt get as far as clonning the machine. When i restart teh machine it just goes straight onto a black screen with teh flashing underscore

Thank Post

Check your drivers / dos template

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast