+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Problems with Windows Storage Server. in Technical; Hello! I've got a few strange problems with our windows storage server. It's an HP storage works server which is ...

Thank Post

Problems with Windows Storage Server.

Hello!

I've got a few strange problems with our windows storage server. It's an HP storage works server which is based on an HP DL380 server with attached 1.6TB SATA array. It's running windows storage server 2003 which was pre-installed on the box by HP.

This server does all our file serving for the entire site, all staff and student files, and does a very good job too, but we keep getting some strange behaviour after it's been running for a few days/weeks.

We use terminal services to connect to the server from our office to do management tasks on a regular basis. The first thing we notice is we can't connect to the server using terminal services. it doesn't give us an error, just doesn't connect to it. If we go down to the server room and and log in it lets us on, but usually gives us an error about 'insufficient resources exist to load profile, logging on with default profile' once logged on, all tasks and programs run perfectly ok.

What will normally happen if we leave the server running is eventually it will stop us loggging in completely, displaying an error. At this point the server stops responding to all requests and the only solution is a reboot, which we have to force the server off as we can't log on to shut it down properly. Hence we normally re-boot before it reaches this point.

Has anyone experienced this sort of behaviour from a server before?? All our other servers are fine, just our storage server that's suffering from this problem. It never used to when we first had it, and we can't think of anything we've installed that has triggered the problem, the server hardly runs any software as it is purely a file server. Event logs are no help, they don't seem to point towards a particular process or program as being a problem. While it's not a major problem as the server still works ok providing we re-boot it once a week, I would really like to solve this problem!!

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Mike

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Problems with Windows Storage Server.

Our windows storage server runs incredibly slowly, and I have encountered logging in problems with it before. I think it is down to them being low spec machines but they could do with a bit more ram usually. (512Mb, as is in our F-S FibreCat Nas box, is too low, even for the cut down version of windows).

Thank Post

The server is a very good spec, duel xenon 3.4GHz processors with 4GB of ram. We didn't take any chances with the server spec as we knew it was going to be the main stay of our network. Initially it only had 2GB of ram which we increased when we started getting this problem. It made no difference.

Mike.

Thank Post

Your symptoms describe a classic memory leak situation.
    As WSS is not supposed to host applications one has to look here first.

What applications have been added/loaded to this server?

I recently had a DC that would immediately begin leaking memory as soon as a VNC server service was started on it. Within a couple of hours the machine stalled with no even errors a hard reset the only fix.

Stopped using VNC everything was fine.

Examine all running processes on the WSS and suspect anything that is non-native, Anit Virus apps would be a good one to start with.

Thank Post

I am running a few applications on it, Veritas backup, a small componant for Schools Cash Office, and sophos AV as well. What's the risk if I stop sophos running on the storage server? As I'm running it on everything else, is there any risk at all?

Cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by m25man
    Your symptoms describe a classic memory leak situation.

I recently had a DC that would immediately begin leaking memory as soon as a VNC server service was started on it. Within a couple of hours the machine stalled with no even errors a hard reset the only fix.

Stopped using VNC everything was fine.
    Just alittle off subject for a sec. but how do you detect a memory leak?

cheers

Thank Post

ok just been reading a wiki about memory leak.

is the server OS and installed apps all up to date. may be worth checking with software companys to see if they have recognized any memory leak problems and have a go at updating.

I have never seen this strange problem before so would love to know what the outcome is

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You end up with less free memory than you started with.

Thank Post

where running on operating systems (such as AmigaOS) where memory may not be automatically released on termination, and if lost can only be reclaimed by a reboot

sounds like same problem your having

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by maniac
    I am running a few applications on it, Veritas backup, a small componant for Schools Cash Office, and sophos AV as well. What's the risk if I stop sophos running on the storage server? As I'm running it on everything else, is there any risk at all?

Cheers,

Mike.
    Hi Maniac,

Disabling Anti-Virus on any machine is always a risk. Unfortunately a balance has to be stuck between security and performance. That is why it is often necessary to disable on-access on computers such as file servers. Generally there is a reduced risk as servers do not actually run the files stored on them. Also no one is doing general Internet surfing on servers or clicking on "interesting" looking programs.

Regarding your problem: there might be a possible memory leak. Microsoft have issued a hotfix for a memory leak recently for Windows Storage Server 2003. The following links may prove useful...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886805/en-us

The hotfix is available from:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913109/

I highly recommend discussing the application of the hotfix to your server with Microsoft before proceeding.

Regards,

Sophos Technical Support

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've got one of those boxes, basically only ever install software that HP authorise, and when you have a problem phone them. You did pay for support didn't you?

NAS is evil. I wouldn't buy one again.

If you can - phone HP.

Thank Post

Yes I have support for it, and have used it. They sent me the latest version of their HP server management tools, which apparently fixes certain issues like this. It has improved things a bit, but it still crashes out every so often.

I'm planning to remove all thrid party software from this server during the holidays, I didn't realise the storage server wasn't designed to run applications. Even things like veritas backup aren't recommended, which we installed on this server because it seemed logical as it stores 90% of our data. Hopefully this will solve the problems.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just out of interest have you checked how secure the VDHCI cable is? A loose one caused our DL380 to lock up a couple of times, with very similar symptoms.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread