+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Hmmm finding the culprit!!! in Technical; Hi We have a cc3 setup, which works with no problem. We also run RM Tutor3 (netsupport). We appear to ...
    Thank Post

Hmmm finding the culprit!!!

Hi

We have a cc3 setup, which works with no problem. We also run RM Tutor3 (netsupport).

We appear to have a rogue student that somehow manages to take control of a teachers session whe in class. Does anyone know of anyway we could possible find out who, we know which lessons and when, but just cannot track it down to find out who it may be. We dont have Tutor3 running on may machines and indeed student profiles do not have access to the program, but somehow the it is happening!

The teacher in question does state that his machine goes of on its own and also he watched as his program closed and his email opened up, He is also knows what he is doing, so I dont think its him.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Hmmm finding the culprit!!!

Does Tutor 3 Not hold an access log of workstations that access it. I know there is somewhere in net support, R< should be able to help

Thank Post

Had a look at log files they do not appear to be much help.

Though we have a had a scan of the students drives, 6 or so students have the tutor.cfg files in there folders, half of them were in the lesson questioned, so we are going to monitor them a bit closer.

kerrymoralee9280

Do you not have VNC Server installed on the staff machine?

If so he could possibly be using that to control. You can access a machine using VNC through a web browser. Just type the machine name and put the port number on (I think it's 5800 by default).

So for instance:

HTTP://ITLAPTOP:5800 (Only works in I.E. I think)

Thank Post

Configure the local security of the Teachers computer to 'display customisable text when viewed' and i think it shows the name of the computer connecting to it.

Thats assuming they are using netsupport to take it over.

Thank Post

A few options.

(1) As suggested you can set the students (incl the teacher) to show a message both when someone connects to them i.e "PC X has connected to your PC" and a message when a view is started "PC X has started viewing".

(2) Set user acknowledgement on the Teacher PC, when someone tries to connect to it the teacher will be prompted to allow or deny. It will also say which PC is attempting to connect.

(3) Use the Security key feature in all NetSupport "based" products. You set a Secuirty key on all student and tutor machines and in effect it makes your copy of the product totally unique and incompatible with any other versions. So if a student downloads an evaluation / trial copy it will not be able to connect to the rest of the class.

Feel free to pm me if you would like one of our tech team to call you to assist further.

Al.

NetSupport.

Thank Post

Purge

What you need to do is remotely uninstall Ranger Remote from all the PC's in the Suite

Lockdown

Then you need to set up a security key

Deploy

The you deploy the Client back out to all the PC's

Security

The you install the Tutor / Teacher Client onto the Teachers PC with a password and Security key..

Done

Thank Post

We had someone do that with RM Tutor 2.
    We prevent executing from student home drives, but they managed to find the shortcut to the app on one of the servers ops: - A quick cacls of the directory the exe was in (on C)!
    We have a policy of "tell us how you got in and go free" which seems to work quite well. Try a "we will find out who did it, own up and tell us how, or we will seriously bust you!"

Ours were actually discovered by the head of IT who has an excellent knack of sneaking up on kids and standing behind them unnoticed :twisted: !

Thank Post

Our policy is pimp on your mates and get a fiver..

kerrymoralee9280

That's a bit harsh Grommit. Doesn't that promote bullies in a non direct kind of way.

Grass ya mates, you get a fiver, the next day they beat you up.... Fair?! Really worth a fiver when you think about it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AJKOK1
    A few options.

(1) As suggested you can set the students (incl the teacher) to show a message both when someone connects to them i.e "PC X has connected to your PC" and a message when a view is started "PC X has started viewing".

(2) Set user acknowledgement on the Teacher PC, when someone tries to connect to it the teacher will be prompted to allow or deny. It will also say which PC is attempting to connect.

(3) Use the Security key feature in all NetSupport "based" products. You set a Secuirty key on all student and tutor machines and in effect it makes your copy of the product totally unique and incompatible with any other versions. So if a student downloads an evaluation / trial copy it will not be able to connect to the rest of the class.

Feel free to pm me if you would like one of our tech team to call you to assist further.

Al.

NetSupport.
    Option 3 is best there is rm article here on it

http://www.rm.com/Support/TechnicalA...=1&cluster=All

Russ

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJKOK1

How do I do this?, I see no options for it? maybe cos we are using RM Tutor3 (RMified netsupport?).

Before we do disable as in option3, we would like to catch the student(s) doing it.

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post

LOL

I just noticed "Network and Classroom Management" in the forum lists, should have posted there.

Well, I thought it was funny!

Thank Post

You will want to change all staff passwords

Thank Post

We just nixed the ability to run executables from any drive the student has control over, then ran a regular puge of student home drives - a great many files they do not need.

Couple that with RANGER lockdowns and we tend not have any isses.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread