+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, "Windows XP costs 5X more than Windows 7 to support" in Technical; Originally Posted by alttab if your a business, and you've waited this long still on XP, why would you upgrade ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alttab View Post
    if your a business, and you've waited this long still on XP, why would you upgrade to 7 with Windows 8 just round the corner.
    Because Windows 8 Sucks?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Because Windows 8 Sucks?
    Lets be constructive now, W8's UI on a desktop sucks. I'm sure it will work fine for a tablet.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Yeah would like to know the metrics Microsoft used to come out with such a statement.

Here's looking forward to the RC version of Win8, along with others I'm not a fan of the Metro Look at all.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 28th May 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Yeah would like to know the metrics Microsoft used to come out with such a statement.

Here's looking forward to the RC version of Win8, along with others I'm not a fan of the Metro Look at all.
    metro is alright IF YOU HAVE A TOUCHSCREEN be it a tablet smartboard or whatever but for a desktop/laptop it is pointless tbh i find dos less anoying than metro with a mouse

Thank Post
    Windows 8 = Vista 2.0 (Horrible, just give a GPO to turn that start screen off)
    WIndows 7 = Windows XP (moan about the changes since the last version but genrally OK)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmmmm Now could be the time to roll out Linux to the desktops

Wishful thinking of course........

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post

Students would adapt quicker than most staff I suspect :-) .

Thank Post
    Tomorrow's article headline... "upgrading to Windows 8 gets you 10 x more girls"

Not entirely convinced by the stats but there are certainly features in 7 that make life a lot easier. From an imaging point of view it's streets ahead of XP, even simple things like native support for the Intel AHCI controller saves a lot of time.

The 7 usability features are quite subtle but work well (Aero snap etc) although from a support perspective some of the dialog box updates are a bit clunky (e.g. printer settings & network sharing center over complicate things) but compared to the sins of Vista it's a small grumble compared to the positives of 7.

As for 8... well... it's a real marmite OS as it stands, I wonder who will be brave enough to go for it on a primarily desktop estate. I doubt those who made the Vista jump early will want to have their hands burnt again...

Thank Post

That's what were planning on doing. I'm currently working on locking down Debian (to see how easy it is, more than anything else) with a view to deploying to every machine that doesn't need Windows specific programs (SIMS, Sibelius et cetera).

Thank Post

for non tablet devices it might be the way to go if ms insist on shoving everyone down the touch screen route "cos its pretty" as i see very few uses where a touchscreen is the best option (or even better than mouse) and they all revolve around "watching stuff" rather than "doing stuff"

Thank Post
    Why is Windows 7 so much easier to deploy than XP with MDT? Never deployed 7 yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Why is Windows 7 so much easier to deploy than XP with MDT? Never deployed 7 yet.
    Never done XP through MDT but, single image for all hardware and offline patching are big ones. I imagine it does stuff more natively with less hacking too as it is the system level it was designed to deploy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,513 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    They use the same people who work out the financial "losses" caused by piracy.
    You're probably right and their cousins are people who thought the Euro was a fab idea!

It is safe to say though that 7 is easier to setup and deploy than XP, but XP really was a brilliant OS bearing in mind it was released in 2001. Now if Microsoft hadn't improved on an 11 year old OS then something (from a development perspective) would have gone wrong.

I think the biggest annoyance is how little devices XP picks up compares to 7 and that also (in addition to what Synack said) are justifications for deploying 7.

As for Windows 8, I won't be deploying that as soon as it hits the shelves, but I'll certainly have a look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    That's what were planning on doing. I'm currently working on locking down Debian (to see how easy it is, more than anything else) with a view to deploying to every machine that doesn't need Windows specific programs (SIMS, Sibelius et cetera).
    I'm doing the same. 100 Linux desktops next year :/ I'll probably mount default locked down /etc/skel profile from an NFS share - how are you doing it?
    We are deploying images using kickstart as part of the Spacewalk suite. Upon PXE boot it install centos and all the apps including chrome, citrix client, VDI client and some useful apps. To date the images just need putting on the domain manually. Images are kept up to date and extra packages/scripts can be installed using Spacewalk which is a web interface so It's quite nice to be able to log in and install RPMs, updates or scripts on multiple machines remotely.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12