+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, Blank screen after Windows screen in Technical; It really sounds like a hardware issue to me....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Blank screen after Windows screen

It really sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

Or a virus?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

When you get the blank screen do you have any HD activity ?
    Also can you press Ctrl, Alt, Del ? If so, bring up task manager and see if Explorer.exe is running in the processes, if not click on the file pull down menu, choose New Task (Run...) and enter in explorer.exe - what happens then ?

Thank Post

What about a bios bug? When you image the machines, it doesnt image the bios, does it?
    I don't know how you would find out - a bios scanner? Or flash it and download new again?
    Just a thought

Thank Post

I've re-imaged it again, so have to wait for the problem to appear again to try Ctrl-Alt-Del. Think I may have tried this on previous occasions, though, to see if I could force a restart in the old DOS way. If so, nothing appeared on screen. Will update when problem starts again.

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    What about a bios bug? When you image the machines, it doesnt image the bios, does it?
    I don't know how you would find out - a bios scanner? Or flash it and download new again?
    Just a thought
    If it was a BIOS bug, would re-imaging fix the problem temporarily, as it is doing???? I did download the Ulimate Boot CD, and that has some BIOS related progs on, but not sure how to use them and don't want to make things worse!!!!

Thank Post

Yes, apparently it would as these things sit quietly and take a couple of days to do their thing. (advice from someone far more knowledgeable than me!)
    They are rare but not unknown
    You should be able to either speak to the computer manufacturers tech support or go to the motherboard website - both should be able to help re flashing the bios or downloading updates etc.
    I am not saying it is the problem, but it would be worth giving it a go, wouldnt it - if nothing else it would eliminate another possible issue!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting! Actually this is now reminding me of a problem I had a year or two back where the same thing happened every week or so to one of the machines in one of my schools.

I don't suppose you can remember the file it hung on can you?
    I ask as my problem was down to terrible drivers from ATI that came with the OEM version of XP, when booting into safe mode it hung on a file that I could identify as belonging to the ATI drivers. Once I had uninstalled the drivers and let windows install the default drivers for card the problem was solved.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    When you get the blank screen do you have any HD activity ?
    Also can you press Ctrl, Alt, Del ? If so, bring up task manager and see if Explorer.exe is running in the processes, if not click on the file pull down menu, choose New Task (Run...) and enter in explorer.exe - what happens then ?
    Blank screen fault happened again yesterday. Pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del, and nothing, including no light to indicate hard drive activity. Forced shut down, restarted and got a "new" error: "A disk read error has occurred. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart". This is before the Windows screen, at the end of POST.

Now, I had this error on another machine from the same batch which has been back twice to the company covering our warranty, and which is still playing up. I looked the error up on the Western Digital website, and it clearly states this is not usually a hard drive fault. There were various solutions, none of which I felt capable of trying (I'll look it up again and post here later). To be sure, I downloaded the hard drive test boot disk and ran it - no errors.

Anyway, I re-imaged and ran the virus scan on the hard drive, and nothing was detected.

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    You should be able to either speak to the computer manufacturers tech support or go to the motherboard website - both should be able to help re flashing the bios or downloading updates etc.
    I am not saying it is the problem, but it would be worth giving it a go, wouldnt it - if nothing else it would eliminate another possible issue!
    The company we bought the computers from went into liquidation in December. But I will try and get some info from the motherboard website - although I have never flashed BIOS before!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh
    I don't suppose you can remember the file it hung on can you?
    I ask as my problem was down to terrible drivers from ATI that came with the OEM version of XP, when booting into safe mode it hung on a file that I could identify as belonging to the ATI drivers. Once I had uninstalled the drivers and let windows install the default drivers for card the problem was solved.
    Can't remember the file it hung on - but I can go though the same process again if it happens before term end (unless I get so fed up that I send them off to our warranty cover company for their holidays! But as they think these are software problems they charge us, so I will have to be very fed up!).

I have 31 of these computers. Maybe I should try and boot one of the healthy ones into Safe Mode and see what happens???

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12