+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
Windows Thread, Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... Hash in Technical; Hello, I would like to know if somebody has found a way to prevent these naughty flash games from loading ...
    Thank Post

Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... Hash

Hello,

I would like to know if somebody has found a way to prevent these naughty flash games from loading (.swf) I found out that using Hash rules would stop many file types , but It does not work for .swf, at least not with me that I have tried.

please help because game invasion os on the rise on this school

Ricardo Carrera
    ICT Technician
    Moorside High School

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... Hash

You could try blocking the MIME type at your firewall and just allow a whitelist of sites to use Flash.

Thank Post

Hash rules are specific to the file the hash is created on. If you are looking to ban file types in student areas then the file filter features of Server 2003 R2 are probably your best bet.

Thank Post

We have the same problem, and I've not found a method of stopping them yet! The problem is the kids create legitimate SWF files as part of their work, so we can't ban the file type, we just need to filter out specific SWF files and stop them from running.

Mike.

Thank Post

Although our pupils dont create swf files for work, the staff do use some sites that use flash, or i would have blocked it in my local hardware firewall ages ago.

*sighs*

Nath.

Thank Post

Re: Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... H

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Although our pupils dont create swf files for work, the staff do use some sites that use flash, or i would have blocked it in my local hardware firewall ages ago.

*sighs*

Nath.
    Do what I do. Get a proxy that bans flash and whitelist all the sites that the teachers use so they can use the flash content.

Thank Post

If i remember, I'll suggest it to the guy that follows me

What I might do if i get time is to setup an old server as a proxy box for this very purpose, and place any pupils misusing the net on it, so that they get filtered even more / only have certain sites they can access.

I wager that I wont have time to do it before i leave, but surprises do happen dont they?

Nath

Thank Post

Dont you already have a proxy? Just add them to a whitelist only group

Thank Post

Re: Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... H

Blocking the websites is not problem, the problem is, the kids bring the flash .swf games in a pen drive, then they share them with their mates and so on, so what I am looking for is to get a similar way to stop specific files (like hashing) from loading, as some posts in here have cleared, there are some course work related .swf files they create, so to block all .swf files is not ideal.

well I was jumping of happiness when found out about hash rules, but then :cry: because it does not work with .swf files.,, so I have been deleting the files from their home folders, but the pupils are even starting to laugh at me because they know that I cannot stop them!!!

mmhh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think this is one of those areas where you have to accept that the problem is not technological so the fix is also not technological.

There's a whole raft of things which are not allowed in schools and that is enforced not by any kind of technology but by teachers saying "no" and, if necessary, dishing out punishments or sanctions.

Trying to find a "fix" for blocking some swf files but not others is pretty much doomed - you simply need to be able to report user "X" to a teacher, head of year etc and let them deal with it. Alternatively, if the school won't deal with it then don't let it worry you :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDejaVu View Post
    Blocking the websites is not problem, the problem is, the kids bring the flash .swf games in a pen drive, then they share them with their mates and so on, so what I am looking for is to get a similar way to stop specific files (like hashing) from loading, as some posts in here have cleared, there are some course work related .swf files they create, so to block all .swf files is not ideal.

well I was jumping of happiness when found out about hash rules, but then :cry: because it does not work with .swf files.,, so I have been deleting the files from their home folders, but the pupils are even starting to laugh at me because they know that I cannot stop them!!!

mmhh
    How about blocking all SWF files for users who don't need them? Im guessing students making flash files are in the higher years (and should know better than to play games on school time?). ...Block flash files for everyone, but dont apply it to a certain group of users.
    This would probably create a lot of extra work unfortunately

Thank Post
    you can't block all kinds of games from school PC's , it's as simple as that, so I don't bust my nuts over it.

whenever you block one way, they find another and in fact the brighter ones see it as a challenge.....

I agree with the 'classroom management' solution - we can only take reasonable measures to ensure that games are not easily accessible, but it's the teacher's job to monitor use of PC games in the classroom - from a behaviour point of view it's no different from pupils using mobiles or other gadgets in class really (and ICT technicians have no control over that at all.)

I know some teachers do turn a blind eye if leaving a disruptive kid playing a game on a PC in the corner , or listening to music or whatever keeps him from annoying others who want to learn - that way the kid is only wasting his OWN time.
    I would not say that was BAD classroom management, would you ?- in this situation , I would be inclined to do the same thing.

school for some kids is a wonderful learning environment, but for others it is a state - sponsored childminding service - unfortunately in state schools, they are all in the same classes together.

Thank Post
    The problem is that by leaving that kid to waste their time the school are failing them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The problem is that by leaving that kid to waste their time the school are failing them.
    -but if too much of the teacher's time is taken up in managing the behaviour of ONE kid, then the rest of the class is being failed to some extent.

Thank Post
    That's what inclusion is for if the teacher can't controll them then that student should be removed and educated in a more controlled environment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast