+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Windows Thread, Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... Hash in Technical; Originally Posted by cookie_monster The problem is that by leaving that kid to waste their time the school are failing ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    The problem is that by leaving that kid to waste their time the school are failing them.
    What rubbish.

If the kid is playing games when told not to, getting around policies, security and doing it when even after been punished for previous offences then that's their own doing.

Fair enough we have a duty of care and some responsibility to prevent students wasting time, but how about looking at it that those kids circumventing the things we do are failing the other kids who want to work because we spend time blocking things instead of fixing or progressing other resource?

How about Classroom Management that lies with the teachers? How about us not chasing every little violation?

When I was at school and sat chatting or doodling and not paying attention, did the teachers take away my pens? Did they strap my eyes open ala Clockwork Orange? No I was punished and either accepted I was doing something wrong and stopped.

Thank Post
    As i said above it's not all the teachers fault (although i feel some are far to soft) it's a policy issue but it's still the school failing the student. These consistent trouble pupils should be educated in smaller more focused groups and when they're sick of that quite often they're willing to return to classes and work.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 5th March 2008 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    If we're talking about pupils that can be disruptive in class, I've found if they're sat playing a game it usually means they're quiet and not stopping anyone else from learning.
    It when they can't amuse themselves they turn to more disruptive measures.

Sure they should be in smaller groups, we have a Behaviour Support Unit here they can be taken to, but as you know school funds have a lot they should be spent on, when they're actually wasted on unnecessary things.

Thank Post
    This is a very large and political issue that has been debated long and hard and i don't think we're going to solve it here. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Thank Post
    That's very diplomatic. Fair enough.

Politics, weird isn't it how we're all convinced Democracy is the way to go, then complain constantly...bring on the Revolution!

Thank Post
    If we didn't all think we were right all the time it might work better, but i don't see that happening and life would be a bit boring that way :-)

Thank Post
    OK i think i have the solution don't ask me how but it is working on my network.
    Warning this might impact on your security
    first set in gpo - user configuration \ administrative templates \ windows components \ attachment manager - set default risk level for file attachments to low
    then add .swf to inclusion list for low file types
    then in software restriction polices add your .swf hash file
    seems to then work.

Thank Post
    Has anyone done what is mentioned in the previous post and does it work?

If so did it have any other impact ?

Thank Post
    *** BUMP ***

I have been asked by SLT to look into a way of blocking all these swf games they are bringing in on memory stick.

Does anyone have any experience of preventing these?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Yeah basically it's not possible.

You can't use a software restriction policy because that blocks IE not the SWF files.

You could block SWF files but that would mean you couldn't do a lot of ICT courses.

This is where the line is drawn between computer restrictions and classroom management. It has to be reaslied that technology can prevent a lot of things, but not everything. For the small parts that remain then teachers must exercise their authority.

Thank Post
    the problem we have now is that kids have figured out you can embed exe's into word documents.

cant find anything to get rid of them.

Thank Post
    This is an awkward one. The students run them from pen drives - we stop that. The run them from email - we stop that too. We stop flash from running so they open them in explorer. How far do you go before you say to them it is their future and they have to take responsibility for it and not blame others when they underachieve?

Thank Post
    The only effective thing I have found so far is a part of the AB tutor control program. You can set a policy to block applications from opening by file name or what is displayed in the title bar. Most of the exe games are from miniclip so the policy will close any program open that has *miniclip* in the title bar.

Works great, but AB tutor has a habit of breaking things, which is why I removed from the network and now only have it on 6 machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rasssp View Post
    the problem we have now is that kids have figured out you can embed exe's into word documents.

cant find anything to get rid of them.
    Which version of office are you running? if your running 2003 or + you can block all ActiveX that stops it, that or if your still looking into upgrading have you considered going to open office instead, We where running 2000 and couldn't block it, And we just couldn't afford upgrades so we are now using open office on student machines.

@rasssp - Ye we run Abtutor its great and all but i prefer to have everything set threw GPO, And i think i'm almost there blocking most ways i'll provide more info later.

@NikChillin - Ye we have got to that point now, i have just managed to block all flash from being dragged into IE that doesn't affect websites although still in the testing stage but i'm starting to draw the line because of the amount of time all this security takes to setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhibberd View Post
    Which version of office are you running? if your running 2003 or + you can block all ActiveX that stops it.
    Aye, that will stop all ActiveX within Office, (we tend to get them embedded in Excel files), but is there any way to stop JUST the SWF files, but allow others (I don't know what they are, but I suspect they might need it) ?

Ideally, we'd want to be able to have a black list (or a white list) of allowed SWF embedded files.. but this is not easy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast