+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Windows Thread, Blocking Flash Games Software restriction Policies... Hash in Technical; The program has potential, thanks for the work so far. Any plans in the futher to make hashes based on ...

Thank Post
    The program has potential, thanks for the work so far.

Any plans in the futher to make hashes based on the programs running vis saflash.exe or similar?
    Also, an option to disable the taskbar icon would be useful.

Thanks again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don__1 View Post
    The program has potential, thanks for the work so far.

Any plans in the futher to make hashes based on the programs running vis saflash.exe or similar?
    Also, an option to disable the taskbar icon would be useful.

Thanks again.
    It isn't possible to get files from running programs other then internet explorer, so getting the file opened by saflash.exe isn't possible. It is possible to kill all instances of saflash.exe with the KILL= line though.

If I sort out the problems with the new version, I will include an option to hide the taskbar icon.

The new version SHOULD be able to prevent the operation of ANY disallowed file, as it works by monitoring the OS calls to open file, it then snags a copy to hash, so it wont matter which program is doing the opening.

Saying that, certain filetypes dont seem to trigger the OS's event call for open file even though it should pick up ALL files on a given path.

If anyone wants a look, I have posted the code to sourceforge.net (search for the gamekiller project)
    Last edited by peterp; 11th November 2009 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post

File System Filter

Just had a look at your program and its a great idea we have the same problem with games etc

your program seems to be running from several filesystemwatcher objects which are not designed to detect files opening and after having a look around there only seems to be one way to detect these events in ntfs. by using a file system filter driver you need to download the windows driver kit from ms and in there is a minispy program written in c# once modified for your needs and compiled will give you the results you need to block any file from opening
    Last edited by Nutter; 27th November 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post

Download link is not working

Hello all,

I have stumbled across this thread in hopes to shut down games, and I think it is great what has been accompolished here! I would love to test this program out in my organization and contribute in any way possible. However, the download link provided is not working, and I don't think GameKiller3 on sourceforge is quite working yet. Could someone please repost a link to these files.

Thanks in advance,

jteegen

Thank Post

Talking Gamekiller Files

I too would like to use the current working version of GameKiller?

I Presume gamekiller 3 is not ready yet ( I do hope peterp get's time to create this! It would be fantastic to stop the little wonders from being diverted to gaming during lessons)

What is the link to download the current version 2?

Thanks
    Martin

Thank Post
    I'll host a copy for a while.

GameKiller 2

7. Thanks to Don__1 from:

jteegen (14th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for making that available!. We'll see if the software does the trick until ver.3 is unleashed.

Thank Post
    Unfortunatly, with a change in job role meaning much more work at the moment, and problems with the filesystemwatcher objects not reporting correctly, version 3 may never see the light of day.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterp View Post
    It isn't possible to get files from running programs other then internet explorer, so getting the file opened by saflash.exe isn't possible.
    Does anyone know a way of forcing flash to open in internet explorer instead of the stand alone player? as i seem to be unable to kill the standalone player at all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyDejaVu View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know if somebody has found a way to prevent these naughty flash games from loading (.swf) I found out that using Hash rules would stop many file types , but It does not work for .swf, at least not with me that I have tried.

please help because game invasion os on the rise on this school

Ricardo Carrera
    ICT Technician
    Moorside High School
    Ricardo, have you set swf in the definition types entry in the policy element?

Thank Post
    Could anyone host a copy of V2 for me or put it on RS? I downloaded it ages ago, but cannot find it.

Thanks

Michael

Thank Post
    Last edited by Don__1; 20th May 2010 at 10:42 PM.

14. Thanks to Don__1 from:

linkazoid (20th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don__1 View Post
    Ta very much!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I think this is one of those areas where you have to accept that the problem is not technological so the fix is also not technological.

There's a whole raft of things which are not allowed in schools and that is enforced not by any kind of technology but by teachers saying "no" and, if necessary, dishing out punishments or sanctions.

Trying to find a "fix" for blocking some swf files but not others is pretty much doomed - you simply need to be able to report user "X" to a teacher, head of year etc and let them deal with it. Alternatively, if the school won't deal with it then don't let it worry you :-)
    Ah.. common sense is always the first option. I'm with you on this one, you just cant stop everything no matter how hard you try. It's down to the teaching staff to deal with this one mate.

Kili

Thank Post

Cool Our solution

We (were) facing the same problem at our organisation. At first we were using Group Policy's Software Restrictions to block unwanted programs, but students found ways around that, including opening the file in Notepad, changing a byte at the end then saving. One byte changed = brand new hash = not blocked. Worked quite well, even though they were editing it in Notepad.

So we took the extreme measure. We created a GPO that would:
    • Prevent certain filetypes from being run (including EXE, BAT, DLL, OCX)
    • Prevent certain filetypes from being copied anywhere
    • Delete the offending filetypes from their home (H:\) drive
    • ONLY run in the "Students" OU (So it didn't affect staff)
    • Only run on H:\, C:\Documents and settings\%username%, D, E, F, G, I, J, K drives, %temp% (basically anywhere we can't monitor easily). This let us block content on USB drives too.
    • Block FlashPlayer.exe and varients

And modified our WebMarshal rules to block all multimedia unless the site was in the "Allowed" group.

The results are astounding. Once GP was applied to all machines, game playing dropped to almost zero. We had students and teachers saying "Well what about those who do multimedia or programming?". And the answer is, our curriculum drive (Z:\) isn't affected by the block so students who do multimedia can put files in there (the folder is heavily moderated) and students who do programming don't compile their programs. They send the source to the teacher to view and compile.

Now, with games and other unwanted programs blocked, we have several things to look out for:
    • Computer damage (bored students = graffitti, smashed screens, broken keys)
    • Online anonymizer sites (Students were using Opera and Safari to get around website filtering)
    • Frustrated students. Now that they can't play games, they would focus their attention on bullying others
    • Emailing. Students are now using email (a provided resource) to "chat" with mates.

But at least now we have one way of managing what they do on the system. Next up, installing iTALC for staff to use!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast