+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Redirected 'My Documents' redirects to wrong user? in Technical; Got a strange one starting to appear on the network as its not happening all the time. We have class ...
    Thank Post

Redirected 'My Documents' redirects to wrong user?

Got a strange one starting to appear on the network as its not happening all the time. We have class logins (primary) as colours i.e. red, orange, green etc. When they log on their My Documents is redirected to their home folder home$\gree for example and a drive is mapped to it h: as well. No what is happening is that for example green logs on and goes to My Documents it gives an error message that the path to home$\red is not available (which of course its not as its green who is logging on. The Mapped drive is fine. The only thing that I can think of has changed is that I created a new template profile to reduce logon times. To fix the issue I have either rebooted the PC or done a GPupdate of the PC, and logged off and when logging back on it seems fine with My Documents. Now this happens on any logins and (they all use the same new profile) but the error message when it does happen allways refers to red!
    Have not a clue whats happening or where or why..any clues very much appreciated as its driving me nuts!

The clients are xp and the server is 2008 R2. Done lots of new template profiles before and never had this issue crop up. I also have a routine that deletes profiles on shut down and the profiles are mandatory not roaming.

Edit: Just looked at PC event viewer and now its working the message in it says:
    Successfully redirected folder My Documents. The folder was redirected from <\\hollywood\Home$\Red> to <\\hollywood\Home$\Violet>.
    Now where is the path to red being picked up from? its new template? if so why does it sometimes fail?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 14th May 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,472 Posts
    When you created the template profile did it have red mapped and redirected?

Ben

Thank Post
    Not as far as I'm aware, usually create a brand new local user on the PC with admin rights and log on locally to the PC then create the template. The thing is this issue does not happen every time.

Thank Post
    Just a bid more info after some more testing, have two PC's side by side, one works (same logon) the other gives the error message so seems PC related. Tried all sorts and cant seem to fix it permanently. Looked at the registry band on my std template login (used to create the profile) all the settings for My docs, My pics etc are set to %UserProfile% etc, no mention of 'Home$\Red' anywhere so dont think its in my new profile. On a PC which works fine all apart from application data, My Docs and My Pics are set to %userprofile% but those mentioned are set to the correct \\hollywood\home$\violet etc. On the non working PC is the same except that the path for My docs etc is to the wrong user name i.e. red even though violet is logged on. Tried setting it manually but it was just reset when I logged back on so whats happening?
    Just reset that logon back to its old user profile and guess what, its now redirecting to the correct location...but why? and why does the new one not work on that PC yet it does on others?
    Last edited by TechSupp; 14th May 2012 at 11:49 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread