+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, Adobe Creative Suite 3 in Technical; Has anybody had any luck in getting Adobe CS3 (Web Standard edition in this case) to install with Group Policy? ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adobe Creative Suite 3

Has anybody had any luck in getting Adobe CS3 (Web Standard edition in this case) to install with Group Policy? Adobe provide a mechanism for deployment with SMS but not with Intellimirror. They use bodged MSIs which can only be called from their own setup routine so if you try to install them using the usual method it fails.

Why they can't just use standard bloody MSIs is a mystery to me. Macromedia Studio 8 did, that deployed beautifully using Group Policy. Now that Adobe have got their paws on the software, everything becomes a lot harder.

Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and create a new image for machines that need it on or is there another way?

Cheers,

Norphy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 842 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Adobe Creative Suite 3

Its not just the poor MSI support, it also bundles WADS of crud you dont want, such as version cue client on every install even though we have no version cue server and also dont get me started on the evil of bonjour.
    Also note they have blocked Photshop/Illustrator being installed on 2003 servers for no apperent reason (although I think I have a fix for that).

Thank Post

@norphy:

Have you tried adding the usual get around for MSIs like that to see if it works?

Not got the details to hand, but it involves either editing the msi or creating a transform that will add the PROPERTY of ISSETUPDRIVEN with the value of 1

[the exact property name may not be correct - been a while since i've done it at work... grab me on msn later if u like. Dont have CS3 alas, or I'd try it myself]

Nath.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Also note they have blocked Photshop/Illustrator being installed on 2003 servers for no apperent reason (although I think I have a fix for that).
    Is this to prevent use on terminal servers? whats the fix? does the EULA allow it? (autodesk specifically prohibit inventor from being used on TS - I wondered if adobe are the same?)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tarquel
    Have you tried adding the usual get around for MSIs like that to see if it works?
    They probably wont work as its not a actual installshield installer by the looks. I think the MSI's are hacked in such a way that they need more then just properties.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    Is this to prevent use on terminal servers? whats the fix? does the EULA allow it? (autodesk specifically prohibit inventor from being used on TS - I wondered if adobe are the same?)
    Not sure of the reason (not checked full EULA yet). I got the hack working and will post details as soon as I have finished killing all the other "malware" in the installer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Update:
    I think I have got the installer cracked (not literally) now so I will be posting a guide soon once completely sure it works.
    With the guide you will be able to remove all the crud you want.

Thank Post

Any chance of this guide?

Thank Post
    Hi Zero Hour
    Just wondered if you had a remote deployment souloution sorted yet? As we need to deploy to 60 machines ASAP!!

Plus any tips or advice would be appricated. Never used Adobe Creative Suite 3. before!

We currently depoly all our software via MSI's.

And use a mix of GPO's and Ranger policy's

Thanks.

Thank Post
    I never worked out how to do it via MSI's...

Adobe Tech Support was as useful as a wet paper bag... so we sucked it up and set them up to install as silent batch files.

Works when installing in small quantities - about 10 at a time... or at least that's what I found...

It's a solution

Thank Post
    I'd also be really intrested to see this guide as I preferre to do installs by GPO.

I have CS3 Web Premium running here but I gave up on the GPO and added it to the RIS image for the machines and redeployed the 2 rooms that need it. Not a solution I like but there was a time factor.

I'd like to sort out a GPO installer still asa longterm solution.

Thank Post

Using Variables in install.xml to deploy from DVD

So I got the silent install to work fine over a network source but I would ultimately like to deploy from DVD. I can use variables to find the deployment file (install.xml) with the silent command line, but It does not seem to recognize variables in the xml file. I always get an exit code 7 and in the logfile it states that it can't find the INSTALLDIR location. When I use drive letters it works no problem. So even though I can run the DVD from any drive letter it will only install if the system disk is C: and the DVD drive is D: ... Does anyone know of a work around?

Thank Post
    Adobe produce this guide, which is *some* help in producing a script. No support for AD deployment, though.

This is very poor. Adobe used to be one of the best for support in enterprise environments. Previous products (Reader 8 for example) even had a installation customisation wizard to produce .mst files.

Anyway, I only got the license to replace a license that was on loan from the local college while their staff were teaching here. I'll have to stick with the existing earlier versions as we don't have machines that have 1GB RAM.

Thank Post
    I was tasked with this the other day, and it didn't take long using that guide from Adobe about deployment (which OverWorked has already posted). This basicly leaves you with a silent install script which can be run as a batch file using the correct switch to make it totally unattended. Only problem I encountered was to do with my user permission settings. If anybody needs the .bat or install.xml that i used to successfully install it let me know!

GAS

Thank Post
    Hi SuperHans,

Please send me bat file and install file as well, also do you know how to disable memory check so it do not check that you have 1GB memory or not.

Thanks in advance.

Ajay

Thank Post
    Never used AD to deploy, always used SMS, got a cheap deal on it, was about £15 in total lol!

Anyway, we did have problem with the fact we tried installing it on machines with 512mb of ram.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast