+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has dis in Technical; Hi everyone! My machine dual-boots Win98SE and Win XP and I am currently slowly transporting and sorting close to a ...

Thank Post

Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has dis

Hi everyone!
    My machine dual-boots Win98SE and Win XP and I am currently slowly transporting and sorting close to a terabyte of software and information into the XP operating environment. I work with computer graphics and video, so my machine has a lot of files.
    Keeping catalogued backups has been part of my routine for many years due to a bad experience in the past and funnily enough, ever since I started keeping careful backups, I never needed to use them. Not ever.
    Recently, I set up a temporary folder on a separate partition on one of my 3 hard drives to download a large number of Photoshop, art and video related Web sites using a site downloader (running under Win98SE) so I can browse them at my leisure later and sort and add them to my “knowledge folders”. Normally, I do not download a large number of Web sites at one time. Also, normally they are sorted into different sub-directories/folders immediately after downloading them. However, this time, I let the files and sub-directories build up in this temporary folder because I did not have the time to sort them. Knowing that overloading a folder with files and sub-directories could cause problems, I still did not worry as I thought that I would just get an error message, or refusal to write any more files. I was wrong! Last time I checked, the temporary folder had tens of thousands of files and sub-directories. Yesterday I noticed the temporary folder was completely missing.
    Here is a list of symptoms and the things I did to try and recover the files/folders:

* Temporary folder with many files and sub-directories disappeared.

* Checked how much free space the partition has – There is close to 2 gigs unaccounted for on the partition, most files were very small text or gif files.

* Ran ScanDisk - Noticed that it was checking the thousands of files and sub-directories within the invisible folder.

* Booted into Win XP and repeated above steps – Same results and folder still not visible.

* Ran “PC Inspector File Recovery” – It listed the missing folders and subdirectories inside the “Deleted” area. However, saving anything to another drive only resulted in folders being created, without any files. The “Lost” area showed random, related, but not malformed files. They were –probably- files which were overwritten or deleted when I updated the mirror of a Web site.

* Clue – I last used Vallen Jpegger to look at the images from a site I had mirrored. The folder of the mirrored site I looked at displayed a number of unusual, malformed file names when looking at it inside the “Deleted” area of the recovery program. In other words: While looking at them inside the recovery application, I could not find ANY files in the folders of other sites, but found malformed filenames inside the folder I browsed last with Jpegger. Jpegger saves catalogue files of each folder of images inside that folder, and while I noticed no odd behaviour, I suspect something happened to my FAT while Jpegger was saving that catalogue file.

* Used Spinrite - Found no errors on that partition.

* Used S.M.A.R.T software – Found no hardware warnings.

* Always use firewall and antivirus/spyware – No warnings.

So the question is (besides “Why did you knowingly overload your folder”): What does it mean when ScanDisk still checks the invisible folders, “PC Inspector File Recovery” can see all the invisible folders, but not the files and what software can I use to (hopefully) correct this?

The lesson from this is that I should really be backing up my temporary folders also, no matter how messy they are at the time. I still hope someone can help me because it would be a shame to lose all those files and have to start over again. I also had a file that I was going to save and back up inside that directory which is now gone also. I honestly don’t think this is a hardware problem, but specific to Win98.

Please share your experience and advice, it would be greatly appreciated and thank you for reading this long post.

I should also mention:
    The partition is relatively small at 4.6 gigs. I created a separate partition for this very reason, in case something goes wrong while working with the temporary files before burning them to DVD. Interestingly, the partition has another large temporary folder which has been unaffected. The problem which occurred within a sub-directory has "taken out" the entire tree.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has dis

There's not necessarily a problem with having lots of files/folders in a folder (the only exception is if you have a FAT formatted drive and there is then a limit to the number of top level items) so I don't think having a lot of files has caused a problem.

the normal way most people "lose" folders is to accidentally drag them somewhere else - the fact that scandisk was showing the files suggests that they are there but in the wrong place.

if you know the name of 1 file then I would try searching for that file; start at the root of the drive, make sure that you're looking for all files and see where it is. (I'd do this at a command prompt:

dir c:\lostfilename.ext /s /a

will search for all files in all sub-directories.

Thank Post

Re: Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has

What is the native size/type is the HDD?

There were always problems with LBA and Win98 and without the correct support in your 98 OS for the larger physical hard disks you are likely to mess with your MFT's and all sorts!

If the HDD is physically larger than 127Gb I think you may have problems trying to dual boot 98 and XP without the correct OS support installed in Win98.

Have you not considered running 98 in a Virtual Machine instead ontop of XP with an NTFS volume! Virtual PC Additions will let you share a local folder between the 98 and the XP installations.

Got to be safer than loosing your data!

Thank Post

Re: Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has

Hi srochford,
    Can you guess how embarrassed I am right now? Maybe I'll feel better if I tell you a little story:
    A number of years ago I was a little short on cash and decided to buy the cheapest brand of motherboard I could find to upgrade my machine for an upcoming project. Everything was fast and running as expected, however sometimes when I saved a very large file, the system would hang and the file would be damaged. One day, the system hung again, but when I rebooted, the entire directory tree containing the file was missing. Disk Doctor found thousands of errors it was not able to fix and I had to give up trying to recover the tree. Luckily, I had backups so all was well. I got around this “hanging” by using “save as” instead of “save”, for some reason. For extra safety, I decided to partition my drives into many smaller drives, in case an error knocks out a tree or partition, thus minimising damage. Needless to say, the motherboard (it was known to cause problems) was quickly swapped for a better brand and I never had a problem again.
    This time, when the entire tree disappeared, I thought it had happened again. The problem could not be fixed before, so I assumed the worst and went all panicky and technical. Being a respectful, and experienced IT student (and all-round gentlemen) I kept my occasional, mild amusement to myself as I witnessed other people “go Einstein” on something that was not plugged in before helping them out. So there is a lesson in all this for –me- now.
    The entire folder, with the thousands of files ended up in my “System Volume Information” folder of my partition. How or when that happened, I honestly don’t know. Thank you. I’ll happily put all this behind me now.

And thank you m25man, for your response.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Large folder with thousands of sub-directories/files has dis

Doing the "save as" rather than "save" is often a good idea - all sorts of things can go wrong so like this you always get a backup file and can go back to earlier versions if you need to.

Glad to see that you found the folder in the end - the way that's happened to me before is that I've gone to double click a folder and slipped the mouse slightly, dragging the entire folder into oblivion!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread