+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, CC3 -> Windows 7? in Technical; Hi All, We are currently running a RM CC3 network, roughly 900 workstations (mainly laptops...) We would like to convert ...

Thank Post

CC3 -> Windows 7?

Hi All,

We are currently running a RM CC3 network, roughly 900 workstations (mainly laptops...)

We would like to convert 1 classroom (our testing room) to run windows 7 but this is not supported on CC3, what are peoples thoughts on doing this via GPOs and the vanilla way? Directions might be helpful here as I'm getting a little confused in my head now

Thanks
    Luke

Thank Post
    Have you considered CC4 if you are used to using the RM system?
    We use CC4 on two sites and one 100% windows 7 and the other a mix of XP and moving over to 7 and they both work great
    Quote Originally Posted by dobsonl View Post
    Hi All,

We are currently running a RM CC3 network, roughly 900 workstations (mainly laptops...)

We would like to convert 1 classroom (our testing room) to run windows 7 but this is not supported on CC3, what are peoples thoughts on doing this via GPOs and the vanilla way? Directions might be helpful here as I'm getting a little confused in my head now

Thanks
    Luke

Thank Post
    we have but the cost is the limiting factor.... funds are ultra tight at the moment but we have licensing for win7

Thank Post
    we have but the cost is the limiting factor.... funds are ultra tight at the moment but we have licensing for win7
    Have you spoke with your RM account manager? We got a quote for 2 addtional DC's commisioning using our hardware and it came in at under 1000

Thank Post
    +1 for speak to RM. We've just moved from CC3 to CC4, 2 DCs, 1x exchange, 1x diskbox, 1x24 auto loader, 2xUPS, 4x48port gig switches, 2 panaboards, 65 core i5 pcs, 45 core i3 laptops, 2x laptop trolleys, 30 ipad 3s, + secondary support for 5 years all for 96.8k

RM even have the option of placing CC4 into your CC3 domain, do you can gradually move stuff over.

Thank Post
    When we spoke to our account manger last week on 1 of his regular sales visit.... RM no longer offer the cc4 on cc3 domain option - we got quoted that cost just for the initial install and migration!

Using our own hardware on CC3 for a DC was the same as if we got the hardware and commissioning from RM.

The whole feeling with going vanilla, is a way for us to have full control over the network - we have currently customised the CC3 network very heavily and hardly use the RM management console (only gets opened to allocate packages & create users) modify GPOs, change passwords etc are all done server side in windows.

As for trailing with 1 room - this would mean we could do a gradual migration, train staff as required and test software, eventually with goal of each DC demoted out of the current domain rebuilt on 2008 and then joined back to it again as either a file server or DC as required. In theory this all will work well - just having trouble getting my head round how to stop the RM UserTypes from applying to the vanilla machines (imaging & software deployment all working on these, along with base GPO for station security) and creating our own Win7 UserTypes

A little more detail on the servers:
    5x DCs all crammed full to bursting...
    1x Exchange 2007
    1x MIS Server (Sims.net, FMS, SLG, Vericool, Schools Cash office)
    1x SQL server for curriculum access - students development.
    2x disk boxes again full
    1x Backup server (total 7tb of space)
    1x Sharepoint Server
    1x ISA Server for inbound connections
    1x websense server
    2x IIS servers for various department web-based software & eclipse.net
    Last edited by dobsonl; 3rd May 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Thank Post
    just having trouble getting my head round how to stop the RM UserTypes from applying to the vanilla machines
    Assuming you want to keep the same AD database, Loopback processing in replace mode will prevent the C3 policies applying to vanilla desktops. Loopback processing of Group Policy

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Move away from RM, its a pointless expense really. All the tools are available vanilla these days.

We run a vanilla network on windows 7, it took a couple of hours to create the new group policies.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Thanks
    Luke
    You can run vanilla Windows 7 and RM CC3 side by side on the same server infrastructure... all you need is a seperate OU setup in the AD with no inheritance set on it, then start creating your GPO's.... we've had them happily running now for over 12 months and slowly switched our 600 clients from CC3 to Win 7 and only have 12 left to do over summer.
    No need to use loopback policys in it, and with a minor tweak to the CC3 Profile directories security rights you can even have your roaming profiles go into the same location but just with the .v2 suffix

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread