+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Deploying .net Framework 3 in Technical; We've been given a massive .exe that we've been told to update all out SIMS machines with. However it takes ...

Thank Post

Deploying .net Framework 3

We've been given a massive .exe that we've been told to update all out SIMS machines with. However it takes ages. On further inspection, apart from clearing a few files, all it seems to do is install net framework 2 + 3 if they are not present. If they are already installed, the exe goes really quick

So I have a working MSI for version 2 but not for 3. I got the full (50MB) exe and extracted it with /x which gives the full folder with an MSI

Created a GPO and tried it, and it installs fine, but very quickly. Also in add/remove programs it only appears as taking up 15MB, whereas if you install it manually it takes 50MB.

The version checker Ive got doesnt detect it, but the SIMS update runs through quickly as if it is working properly.

Am I deploying it the right way or not?

This is what I looked at about how to deploy
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...yreadme_topic3
    Which makes it sound as easy as the way Ive done it

Thank Post

Re: Deploying .net Framework 3

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder
    We've been given a massive .exe that we've been told to update all out SIMS machines with. However it takes ages. On further inspection, apart from clearing a few files, all it seems to do is install net framework 2 + 3 if they are not present. If they are already installed, the exe goes really quick

So I have a working MSI for version 2 but not for 3. I got the full (50MB) exe and extracted it with /x which gives the full folder with an MSI

Created a GPO and tried it, and it installs fine, but very quickly. Also in add/remove programs it only appears as taking up 15MB, whereas if you install it manually it takes 50MB.

The version checker Ive got doesnt detect it, but the SIMS update runs through quickly as if it is working properly.

Am I deploying it the right way or not?

This is what I looked at about how to deploy
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...yreadme_topic3
    Which makes it sound as easy as the way Ive done it
    Sounds like a good way of doing it. We are using a batch file that detects what OS and service pack they are on. If they are upto spec, the batch file then launches the exe and installs the framework, otherwise they get a message saying needs SP2 etc.

We just add a line to the logon script to reference the batch file. Seems to work ok.

Thank Post

The utility doesn't just install .Net Frameworks, when you actually run the utility it gives you a list of things that it does which include:

Microsoft .Net Framwork (2.0 or 3.0)
    SIMS Workstation Infrastructure Repair
    Barcode Fonts for Reporting
    Windows Installer 3.1

All four of these things are required on each workstation for it to run SIMS .Net after the conversion to SQL 2005/Express after the August update.

We currently have a batch file that we have called from the logon script thats checks registry entries on each of the machines to determine what OS and SP level they are at, if they meet the requirement it launches the utility and we just inform admin staff that they just need to click next twice and then finish when its done, if the machine does not meet the requirements we have it displaying a nice red screen that informs them that they need to update their machine before August or they won't be able to run SIMS .Net

Hope this helped

Thank Post

WSUS can also be used to deploy .NET 3 - just authorise the update and off it goes.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    WSUS can also be used to deploy .NET 3 - just authorise the update and off it goes.
    Never thought of that, thats the best idea I have read all day! Im off to approve it now...

Thank Post

WSUS could well be used to deploy the dot net frameworks themselves but at some point or another you are going to have to run the utility supplied by Capita to update yopur workstations to ensure that any old workstation files are removed, the infrastructure is updated and the new fonts are installed.

I suppose one advantage to running WSUS to deploy the dot net parts is that the Capita utility won't take quite as long to run through but it is going to need to be run at some point.

Thank Post

Yeah thats the thing DreddMetal - its the time. I dont mind running the utility but it was taking over half an hour per machine on ones without framework 2 or 3. On machines with them, it takes about 5 seconds

I take it that it skips Windows Installer 3.1 if it finds that too?

Oh, dont suppose you could share that script? Id rather have the staff have to do it themselves rather than me
    How do you make sure the utility doesnt run again and again?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread