+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Outlook Address list and Exchange in Technical; Hi We have got a problem with the kids sending bulk emails to all staff and pupils with stupid comments ...
    Thank Post

Outlook Address list and Exchange

Hi

We have got a problem with the kids sending bulk emails to all staff and pupils with stupid comments in. It is now getting out of hand (about 4 a day). I have played with all the settings in exchange that i can but it still isnt making any difference.

They are getting all the address' by clikcing on the 'To..' button. It is the global address list i have managed to stop them from seeing to sepate list called staff and students. i have attached a screenshot of the what i mean.

If somecould help me i would be gratefull. I am using office 2003 and exchange server 2003.

Cheers

Dan

Thank Post

Re: Outlook Address list and Exchange

Do you want them to not be able to email staff at all, or to not be able to send bulk mails? The two problems are a bit different...

Thank Post

Sorry i was a bit unclear, not to view any address lists at all and is there a way to restrict the number of reciptents that an email can be sent to. incase they copy the list of an email they have already recieved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I would suggest that rather than looking at this from a technical perspective, that you in conjunction with your SMT rejig (create?) your AUP and get parents / students to sign it

Staff do find it useful (as do the kids) to be able to email each other but its on the basis that it remains professional - so far, having a decent AUP stops any sort of messing.

I would also suggest that seeing as the email wont be anonymous that you simply lock their accounts - i apologise if that sounds like im trying to teach you to suck eggs, but i think something needs hammering down!

(even if there was a way to hide the lists, kids are savvy enough to simply copy a list of email addys and then paste them into the to: box!)

Thank Post

I agree with cheesy pete. People in general need to learn not to send .ppt files of 'cute cats' or whatever to everyone in their address book. It is really starting to annoy me, and it would be great to be able to teach the 'next generation' not to be so idiotic, so that in a few years this practice is stamped out completely!

Thank Post

We had this once or twice, after a few severe disciplinary things (I just want to say bol...) they decided not to. Calling parents, isolated from classes, head of department (Lead Tutor as its called here?!) involved - it stopped.

Or 'accidentally' ensure the principal receives quite a few of them. That way it becomes a big problem

hehe

fooby

Thank Post

I am just finishing off the new AUP. The head does get all the emails. I have manged one way of them viewing it but it corrupts outlook completely and it wont send and recieve properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

Can't you just set the exchange limit on max no. of recipients per e-mail to something like 50 as surely that would be plenty, fine they will soon cotton on to that fact but may help, and if you let staff know that 50 is the max per mailing then if they need to email more then they have to do it in 2 or 3 groups?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In my view 'email all' should go into room 101 as it is just abused by everyone. Either on purpose or just people doing mass emails when they don't need to.

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread