+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Windows Thread, Word Processor requirements for Exams in Technical; We just have some exam laptops that have office installed, all i did was delete the dictionary (custom.dic) information from ...
    Thank Post
    We just have some exam laptops that have office installed, all i did was delete the dictionary (custom.dic) information from word and that stopped the spell check

Thank Post
    Our exam candidates use Wordpad and we print the exam script at the end of each exam session on preprinted paper (which has our School logo, a space for the candidate name and number at the top of each sheet. We print 2 copies of each which the candidates write their own name and number at the top, number the pages, collate and bind and sign on the last page (for confirmation that it is complete). These have to be bound together with the word processor cover sheet, signed by the invigilator and head of exams.

We keep one copy of the printed exam in our safe (recommended according to JCQ regulations)

As far as the rest, I have phoned JCQ and asked them for guidnace but they have said that they are reluctant to give exact specifications of hardware etc. We are currently using a room with 14 thin client machines which have a logon which provides access to wordpad and not to the internet etc.

Problem with this is that in the event of a power failure, students cannot continue with the exam unless they continue by writing. Obviously laptops would have a battery which should last for the duration of the exam and they would be unaffected. JCQ were noncommital on this approach.

Problem is our room of 14 is now full and we cant really add any more lest they be able to view other screens etc.

We also have rising numbers and have to revert to a couple of very old laptops from time to time which are used in the main exam hall.

I would love to hear what other schools are doing. How do you handle the need for many concurrent word processor users? Our iT suite has the machines far too close together and is also in the part of the school where there is a lot of noise at lunch and break times - not exactly condusive to exams!

Would be good to hear some better practices!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
    Thanks Wickit.

Has anyone else noticed high demand this year for word processing in exams? Itís gone crazy in my school!
    Tell me about it, just setup 25 laptops today
    like WTF

Thank Post
    Hi, Could you PM me the script too, please? This is a hot topic and any solutions will be valuable. Thanks! (PS: I'm a noob on Edugeek and this is my first post!)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    We used to use Windows XP with Wordpad, but have been told this year that the students have to send the exams in in double line spacing, which XP wordpad won't do, after a short attempt to run the WIndows 7 wordpad on Xp - didn't work - we just upgraded all the machines to Windows 7, and put the new Wordpad on the desktop.

Not been told that we have to put the name at the top of all the sheets, and I'm not sure if the Win 7 wordpad will do it.

Thank Post
    Wordpad does not do headers, footers, page count or word count.

Download Jarte that I posted above, bung on a shared drive and give the users the shortcut.

Thank Post
    I have a set of 14 exams laptops (retired trolley laptops) which are used in exams for word processing purposes. We get them to save to a USB stick and write their name and candidate number on each page in pen.

Thank Post
    One of the reasons we choose Impero, was the way in which it could be used in controlled assessment sessions.
    With Impero we can setup word to disable the built in help and whatever else and save the template for future use ... works a treat.

Handwriting your name etc after printing is not the way ... it is far too easy to abuse.
    Last edited by Galway; 12th June 2012 at 08:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    We have got 10 old PC with XP and Wordpad this year, it has gone crazy and any student now can request to do it on a computer if that is there usual way of working so I have been told by Exams! They did say that they had been doing it on normal PCs for the last couple of years not the best!

So we will be having a big pow-wow over this for next year as I cannot keep re-setting kit up as standalone XPs to get around the qwerks of no spellchecker etc... you also will note if you read the pages in JCQ handbook (exams officers have this book) that you cannot have them networked together at all so all those logging onto a network for a fixed profile that is a no no as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123