+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Verification needed - Can there be too much software loaded on a Win machine? in Technical; Windows 7, THICK, Vanilla images no Virtual Apps or VDI technology (I would like to have). I've never had so ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post

Verification needed - Can there be too much software loaded on a Win machine?

Windows 7, THICK, Vanilla images no Virtual Apps or VDI technology (I would like to have).

I've never had so many issues with corrupt profiles, we are getting most of the issues in one suite where all the applications are installed I am just about to deploy a Manadatory profile to try and stop the issue of profile corruption. The machines now also exhibit an intermitent slow boot to the Logon screen since installing all the software since summer. Annoyingly once you think you've found the issue and have restarted the machine countless times move to another machine having the same issue, do the same thing and still get the issue. And before anyone asks we haven't deployed any updates since machines were imaged in summer. Mainly because I want to test updates before deploying everywhere but haven't had the time.

We have about 5 different art/draw packages, a number of diiferent design apps most are Serif, a number of different music making apps.

Thank Post
    how big is the default profile ?
    are these local profiles ?

Are new profiles exempt from corruption ?

i use a script to remove student mandatorys that the hive clean up misses . If you want a copy send me a message .

3. Thanks to 2097 from:

Davit2005 (19th April 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Yep all local profiles.

Problem dissapears once profiles have been deleted and the software runs ok again. The teacher now knows jus to get the student on another machine when this happens so at least the student can carry on with the lesson. I then jus clear all the profiles on the machine jus in case.

I have deployed a GPO a month ago to delete local profiles on a batch of laptops after 3 days so have rolled that out to these suspect machines but I'd rather try and work with mandatory profiles if it sorts the issue. I did try mandatory profiles before but when switched to local profiles because a piece of serif software wouldn't work, users that had logged on with mandatory profiles couldn't logon and got a Profile Service error. We don't use said bit of software now so Manadatory profiles shouldn't be an issue.

Default profile is about 350MB which has all the software opened to stop popups and other anoyances :-?
    Last edited by Davit2005; 19th April 2012 at 04:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Wow, you must got a complicated setup. If you are going to use mandatory profiles, then 350MB would very very large esp with windows 7 double slowness factor. I find that Folder Redirection can help depending on what the requirements are.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread