+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Student Mandatory Profile/Default Profile Issue in Technical; I'm at the point of offering a bounty for a solution to this... We have students set up using a ...

Thank Post

Angry Student Mandatory Profile/Default Profile Issue

I'm at the point of offering a bounty for a solution to this...

We have students set up using a single shared mandatory profile, and all lab computers use Deep Freeze. We have recently had one school that has been experiencing students getting the default profile rather than the student profile.

In testing we've found the initial login on a clean recently rebooted PC (XP SP3) works fine. Then if we log out and log back in right away we get the following error:

Windows cannot copy file \\<server>\studentprofile\Cookies\index.dat to location C:\Documents and Settings\<Student.Name>\Cookies\index.dat. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Logged as Event ID: 1509

They are then logged in with the default system profile which means no GPO, etc. so they have access to command prompt, control panel items, etc. essentially a local admin account.

The student profile has not been changed in any way, nobody has any write permissions to it - strictly read only. All date stamps on the profile objects are evidence. Permissions are fine - as again indicated when the initial login works without issue.

Something somewhere is hanging onto that .dat file and we can't figure out how to resolve it.

If anyone has seen this before and has any idea of what might be causing it, please let me know.

Cheers,

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Did you apply the correct security to the registry hive when you created the profile?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Did you apply the correct security to the registry hive when you created the profile?

Ben
    Security is good. These profiles have been in place for about 5 years, no changes other than we migrated the servers from 2003 to 2008R2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I didn't ask if your security was good but if the profile had been created properly originally.

What happens if you give a user a default profile?

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I didn't ask if your security was good but if the profile had been created properly originally.
    You asked if I applied "correct security to the registry hive", yes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    what user or group has ownership of the profile?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    what user or group has ownership of the profile?
    Administrators (<server>\Administrators)

Verified at another site that does not have this issue, the same group has ownership.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just checking, the administrators group needs ownership. This gave me grief last year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    In testing we've found the initial login on a clean recently rebooted PC (XP SP3) works fine. Then if we log out and log back in right away we get the following error:

Windows cannot copy file \\<server>\studentprofile\Cookies\index.dat to location C:\Documents and Settings\<Student.Name>\Cookies\index.dat. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
    Does this also happens when you restart you computer and login. Because it may look like windows is still hanging on that file for some reason when you try to re-login. It could be a number of factors. If I got something working I don't touch what ain't broken because I might end up fix what ain't broken that then turns broken.
    Last edited by Patrickv; 20th April 2012 at 05:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickv View Post
    Does this also happens when you restart you computer and login. Because it may look like windows is still hanging on that file for some reason when you try to re-login. It could be a number of factors. If I got something working I don't touch what ain't broken because I might end up fix what ain't broken that then turns broken.
    No, this does not happen after a restart. We are using Deep Freeze so a restart returns the PC to it's original state and that profile no longer exists locally. Yes, Windows is definitely hanging onto that file for some reason.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread