+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, SERVER FAILURE HELP!!!!!! in Technical; IIS 5 and below, you'd be right. IIS6 however has a pretty decent track record....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: SERVER FAILURE HELP!!!!!!

IIS 5 and below, you'd be right. IIS6 however has a pretty decent track record.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff

Large chunks of the Internet are run on *nix and more often Linux these days. For example, over 50% of the web according to Netcraft (Assuming Apache = *nix is sensible I think).

Assuming Apache = *nix is exactly that, an assumption, we are running Apache here, on a windows 2003 Server.

My point about big business is not directed to the interent it is directed at core networking and I am afraid to say that most Very Large Business use Windows for their core network functionality.

Thank Post

@tom_newton:- Thanks for that link

@johnkay21:- Any joy yet on your problem?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

My point about big business is not directed to the interent it is directed at core networking and I am afraid to say that most Very Large Business use Windows for their core network functionality.
    WTF? precisely no businesses use Windows to provide core network functionlity - Cisco, HP,3com maybe. windows no.

Thank Post

[quote="CyberNerd"]
    WTF? precisely no businesses use Windows to provide core network functionlity - Cisco, HP,3com maybe. windows no.
    You are just being pedantic now, you know exactly what I was on about, Windows do not make routers when I said core network fuctionality I was refering to Dhcp, Filesharing, user accounts etc.

@OP

Any news?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

A lot of companies use microsoft because they know no better and take notice of their marketing drivel. DHCP and file sharing are prime examples of where *nix shines brighter than redmond.

Thank Post

Woa there guys, we are supposed to be trying to help johnkay21, not starting a flame war.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

[quote="Disease"]
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    You are just being pedantic now, you know exactly what I was on about, Windows do not make routers when I said core network fuctionality I was refering to Dhcp, Filesharing, user accounts etc.
    Sorry Disease, with all thse idiotic statements you keep making I assumed you were that badly informed

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ninjabeaver
    Woa there guys, we are supposed to be trying to help johnkay21, not starting a flame war.
    Seconded... Do we have to turn this into another version of "my OS is better than your OS??" machismo sweat fest?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton
    better than knoppix, download trinity rescue kit - its smaller, and it's tailored to the task of rescuing clinkered PCs. It'll even clone a drive over the network.

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...=1&front_id=12
    So could this be used as a disk imaging solution?

Thank Post

@Cybernerd.
    Nice to see you have master the use of an Ad Hominem.

Thank Post

Windows 2003 is actually very reliable. It has its issues like patching but generally it works

OS X is reliable too, once you work around some of flaws.

Linux is reliable.

BSD is reliable.

They can all *be* unreliable though. I have had debian kill my server during a routine apt-get update. Turn linux off half way through a kernel upgrade and I expect it will be upset too.

They are all as secure as you make them, IIS 6 has a decent record for security, as does Apache.

PHP seems to have quite a lot of security issues, this can affect all the platforms.

I use all of the above to run things here, and choose whatever is suited to the task, file sharing is a good example - I'd pick windows over OS X, and that over Linux. Why? ACLs, linux still come with a terribly restrictive permission system as standard. OS X has at least added these in 10.4.

Web server? Currently WAMP, moving to Ubuntu. This is mostly due to performance.

If it *works* does it matter what is providing the service?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Windows 2003 is actually very reliable. It has its issues like patching but generally it works

OS X is reliable too, once you work around some of flaws.

Linux is reliable.

BSD is reliable.

They can all *be* unreliable though. I have had debian kill my server during a routine apt-get update. Turn linux off half way through a kernel upgrade and I expect it will be upset too.

They are all as secure as you make them, IIS 6 has a decent record for security, as does Apache.

PHP seems to have quite a lot of security issues, this can affect all the platforms.

I use all of the above to run things here, and choose whatever is suited to the task, file sharing is a good example - I'd pick windows over OS X, and that over Linux. Why? ACLs, linux still come with a terribly restrictive permission system as standard. OS X has at least added these in 10.4.

Web server? Currently WAMP, moving to Ubuntu. This is mostly due to performance.

If it *works* does it matter what is providing the service?
    Great Post.
    we shall move on now

Thank Post

Like said, just use a linux live cd and dump all the files onto another server or a USB stick for the time being.

Then use a *nix distro for your webserver. We've got apache running on 2003 atm (for backup reasons) but i will be moving it over to debian or ubuntu soon as its far to unstable (for a 100% stable app that is)

Then next time put some backup procediors in place so this doesnt happen again.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ok thats it i am getting out the gun boxing gloves bell and ring for this I think each os has its place and I have to disagree to agree one of the biggest networks in this country has unix and windows. both working side by side in harmony both doing a good job at what they do best. It is also one of the most reliable networks it has to be it controls our countrys armed forces militry and goverment. yes the goverment network uses all windows and unix/linux and spark prossers ect ect. every one has there prefrance (keep it to yourself i have none) as far as server goes try to back up hard drive format reinstall and try again if it fails again you hmay have a hardware issue (i have just had a controler do the same thing to me. Did not relise it till changed hd and tried reinstalling.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast