Windows Thread, Screen Res resetting after qres is run in Technical; I have Qres set on our login scripts for users which has usually worked but the last batch of machines ...
18th April 2012, 10:02 AM #1
Screen Res resetting after qres is run
I have Qres set on our login scripts for users which has usually worked but the last batch of machines we have just put in seem to reset their screen res to a much higher setting than what we want. I presume its the graphics software in someway overriding the qres after it has been run at logon but any ideas where to look or what to do to stop it happening? They have Intel graphics and drivers setup and they are HP DC7900 PC's running XP joint to a 2008 R2 domain.
18th April 2012, 10:19 AM #2
I've has this with certain computer models before. The problem is caused by the fact that AD logon scripts run too early most of the time before the desktop is even loaded. To fix it I made a separate script with the resolution command in and used GPP to make a registry entry in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run to run the script. These run after the desktop has loaded and fixed my problems with setting the resolution. I suggest using a smart script that only runs the program when the resolution isnt correct.
18th April 2012, 11:10 AM #3
Thanks, that sounds about right. Without sounding a bit thick, how or where do I set the registry enrty in GPP?
19th April 2012, 11:09 AM #4
i use qres at logon , do you see the qres setting the resolution at logon ( e.g. change the resolution to a totally different one and see if it works ) .
If it does set it and then gets changed after , i recon the graphics software is changing the resolution to its recomended optimal , which there should be a setting ion the software which you can turn off .
Are all other login scripts working , such as drive maps etc
20th April 2012, 05:39 PM #5
Well got it sorted in the end, just went down the brute force route. Qres etc was working fine, just intel software was resetting it afterwards so I just used msconfig to stop the utility running and the refreshrate.exe that was set to run and all is now fine. Luckily it was not a large set of PC's so it didnt take two minutes really to change them all.
20th April 2012, 05:42 PM #6
igfxpers.exe by any chance ?
Originally Posted by TechSupp
20th April 2012, 11:13 PM #7
Star prize on its way to you sir! Didnt take much guessing once I had a look at what was running at start up.
Thanks to TechSupp from:
mac_shinobi (21st April 2012)
By shirzay in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 7th August 2008, 05:31 PM
By z4ydi in forum Network and Classroom Management
Last Post: 2nd April 2008, 05:45 PM
By FN-GM in forum Windows
Last Post: 28th February 2008, 07:41 AM
By mullet_man in forum General Chat
Last Post: 1st September 2007, 01:57 AM
By Samson in forum Scripts
Last Post: 10th May 2007, 03:29 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)