+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Thread, windows 7 download (legally) in Technical; would also help if i could read correctly - now downloading the X17-58997.iso now and will see if this works ...
    Thank Post
    would also help if i could read correctly - now downloading the X17-58997.iso now and will see if this works tomorrow.

Thank Post
    i think there will be two drive partitions and one will be for data and other will be for recovery of OS
    recover your OS from there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jargonbust View Post
    i think there will be two drive partitions and one will be for data and other will be for recovery of OS
    recover your OS from there
    Well that's the tosh (and others) way of doing things. So was what i was expecting but...

Nope - there were 2 partitions, C and D - forget the 100MB system one for now. C was for windows and all the program files apparently (~70GB) and D(~400GB) held the custom recovery WIM file and all of the drivers, and they had set it up so that 'my documents' was on D - but they forgot about all of the other data like desktop ect. It was almost a good idea, so that they can remotely restore the windows partition without loosing my data on D - except most of my data usually reside's on the C drive, and some of documents have to to work. I also use Linux and normally have an instance of server 2003/2008 also for testing things out on. To put it bluntly, they had a reasonably good idea (from them supporting an idiot on the phone downloading viruses perspective), but not followed it through with the details, and completely forgot about those of us who have to have things set in certain ways or they just wont work. eg, some software i use has to sit, both program files and data, on the C drive and cannot contain any spaces if file names or directory structure. Not nice but just the way it is.

I wouldn't mind this if i were say an English student and all i use is Word, internet, refworks ect, but i'm not. I'm a maths student with a background in computing (which they know) so they should have given me a laptop where i can install my number crunching apps, simulation apps and data crunching apps without having to fight to get things to work.

(i realize this is perhaps not the place to vent my frustration, but for something that is meant to help me it's a lot of hassle.)

Anyway - I'll try with a new image (with the correct hash) and see where I get to tomorrow. Thank you for all of you'r input guys, it is very much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Awesome guys - worked a treat - thanks for all the help, advice and support

Matt

PS; Turns out it was a corrupt download.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12