+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Volume Control Muted on RM CC4 Networks . . . in Technical; Has anybody been experiencing intermittent problems with the volume control on the taskbar for student accounts that use Windows XP ...

Thank Post

Question Volume Control Muted on RM CC4 Networks . . .

Has anybody been experiencing intermittent problems with the volume control on the taskbar for student accounts that use Windows XP stations on RM CC4 Networks? We are experiencing problems across several ranges of computers including HP and Dell stations. These are the symptoms etc:

-Volume control is muted
    -Sometimes you can un-mute the volume but when you move the volume slider it mutes the sound again
    -It works fine as an administrator account
    -If you log the student out and reset their profile, sometimes this fixes the problem and sometimes the volume will mute again when you move the slider as above.
    -The latest and correct sound drivers are installed on the stations
    -The problem does not relate to particular stations

The worst thing about this issue is that the problem is unpredictable and we can find ourselves in a situation where half of a class is affected and the other half is fine. I have reset all student after school had closed but this has not fixed the problem.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Humphry Davy School
    Penzance Cornwall

Thank Post
    I realise it's been a while but has this been resolved yet? I'm getting a very similar problem in CC4 with Windows 7. The volume slilder turns itself to zero all the time. I've been told that it can happen when going from one program to another but mainly it happens when a user logs on.

Thank Post
    Hi, I did find out what was causing the problem. It is one that had me going in circles for a bit. RM didn't know the answer either, they kept blaming the sound card drivers. It actually turned out to be RM Tutor 5 that was causing the problem and it wasn't simply a preset or option in the software that disables the sound. When the RM Tutor teacher console was running then several stations at random could not unmute their sound. If I closed down RM tutor on the teacher PC and the everything works fine, start up again and problems return immediately but at random - sometimes as little as 3 computers will be affected and other times a good quantity of the 32 stations.

Although it was "not" relevant on this occasion, it's also always worth keeping an eye on the RM CC4 Software Updates page, installing all of the latest important and critical updates as I have had different issues in CC4 in the past that become apparent as a common problem when I visit the updates page as RM have released a fix https://www.rm.com/support/technical...ref=tec1255704

Hope this helps,
    Adrian Richards :-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread