Poll: One Domain or Two?!

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, One Domain or Two? in Technical; We switched from one CC3 network and one vanila (with no gpo's!!) to one single network with 4 new servers ...
    Thank Post

Re: One Domain or Two?

We switched from one CC3 network and one vanila (with no gpo's!!) to one single network with 4 new servers just over a year ago and it was the best thing we ever did!!! It makes our lives so much easier.

@alonebfg- we have got 2 address ranges as well but when we migrated networks we bought an ISA server that only gives out one address to our LEA network and use 192.168 internally now and again this works well. Although i am having to set up a few machines with bypass' on the ISA server as we have got a new filtering system and it requires a specific address to unblock certain machines from more websites.

Thank Post

same with us two domains 1 for pupils and 1 for staff

Thank Post

Just going through the process of migrating to one domain and getting rid of VLANS altogether It makes sense because everyone uses the same email, file, proxy and print servers (plus I am being paid to manage 1 network and not 2) 8)

We are using IPsec between our SIMS server and admin PC's (for those of us extremely paranoid about security) :twisted:

Even though we're partway to migrating to one domain things are so much easier to manage. I would deffo recommend doing it if you can and there is a strong case for it.

Thank Post

We have 2 seperate domains here as county advise this, because of the nature of SIMS and its data.
    When SIMS is on a domain you are restricted to what else you can run with it according to county, we are ok apparently with Office and a couple of other bits but thats about it.

It makes life easier here to maintain 2 networks and I fail to see whats difficult with it. It also keeps the SIMS data completely away from pupils etc.

Hope that helps.

Thank Post

3 domain here

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP
    3 domain here
    3?? Admin, Curic and ???????

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid
    3 domain here
    3?? Admin, Curic and ???????
    We have a project based on-site that does mentoring for our school and 2 others (Community Paediatric SLT Team & Behaviour, Education and Support Team). It hosts top-secret data or at least they seem to think it does.

Thank Post

We've recently moved to a brand new site, the old site had two domains, one for curriculum and one for admin.

The new site holds one domain for all, with the vast developments in security, as long as it's kept tight; there is no need for a second domain in my opinion.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    We've recently moved to a brand new site, the old site had two domains, one for curriculum and one for admin.

The new site holds one domain for all, with the vast developments in security, as long as it's kept tight; there is no need for a second domain in my opinion.

And what if someone got the domain admin password for your curriculum domain?

Thank Post

Now that wouldn't be good! That's why I say "as long as it's kept tight"!

The 'Domain Admin' password should be kept as secure as possible, also regular changes helps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries

And what if someone got the domain admin password for your curriculum domain?
    You could say that for anything though - it just means you have to follow a good password policy and a good security policy. We have a single domain system and have never had a problem with people getting hold of admin passwords - there are only 2 people who know that password, and as such it is extremely unlikely that someone will get hold of it here.

That's like saying 'what if someone got hold of the master key for the locks' - and that is more likely than getting an admin password.

Thank Post

Why not one Forest and then 2 sub domains if you’re really worried about security or someone else is more to that fact. Also 'if' a student etc does get one of the domain passwords it only affects that domain. Unless they get the Enterprise domain admin password!

Just a though.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No point in having 2 domains or networks any more, that was just done in the past for historical reasons that do not apply any more. Security and active directory technology have moved on.

I moved 2 years ago to 1 domain and could not be happier. Far to many things overlapped to make it worth while.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ittech
    Security and active directory technology have moved on.
    In what way? Do you mean thet AD has MOVED ON from NT, OR has AD had a security revolution I did'nt get the newsletter for?

No point in having 2 domains or networks any more, that was just done in the past for historical reasons that do not apply any more.
    SORRY, I fail to see your logic. To say that you only require one domain seems quite naive to me. I agree that with good administration a domain can be locked down tightly, however two words echo in my geek bones… ‘Security Realms’.

As a MCSE who has bothered to take the 4 hour AD Design exam I can tell you that one domain is not the 'preached' way, I am certainly not a MS fanboy, and what you learn for MS Exams are throwaway knowledge BUT the reality of security realms are not.

I moved 2 years ago to 1 domain and could not be happier. Far to many things overlapped to make it worth while
    Being challenged for authentication only gives me a warm fuzzy feeling Scripts do the rest.

TBH managing three domains causes me no problems at all. I defiantly would not consider amalgamating them to one domain..

I truly do appreciate any opinions that others have, there are many paths to the same goal.

Thanks, Chris !!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The trouble with some of the MCSE stuff is that it assumes you're running a world wide network with tens or hundreds of thousands of users (and the staff to support it!) It's not necessarily the best setup for a small organisation.

Having said that, we do have 3 domains (staff, student and a resource domain "in the middle" - this is currently only used for photocopiers but we will move other resources onto it soon)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast