+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Disk space in Technical; I know this crops up now and again but what sort of disk space limits are you allowing your end ...

Thank Post

Disk space

I know this crops up now and again but what sort of disk space limits are you allowing your end users?

I've allowed everyone a personal allowance of 2GB (Staff and students) but there is a load of shared storage for staff to save lots of things for pupils to use. My issue is actuallly with our Art department who have a seperate area for the art pupils to save art work. Every time I increase the space for them it fills up and then they get moany. Now disk space is not a bottomless pit so my issues is at what point to I cut them off? So far I've got about 177GB for 47 Y12/13's and 150GB for 130 Y9/10/11's (The Y9 don't do that much).

All full.

So is that plenty compared to you lot or am I massively restrictive?

Thank Post
    2GB here if with a warning at 1.6GB Its more than enough to store all those word documents and a couple of Jpeg images.

Thank Post
    I inherited a system without quotas so I am a bit stuck at the moment because to implement these it will impact on all users as they are well over the proposed 500Mb proposed limit. The issue isn't space on the SAN its just space on the backup service we subscribe to.

Thank Post
    250MB for Students with FSRM having restrictions on file types, 500mb for staff with FSRM also.

Department shares do not currently have a quota.

Thank Post
    No limits currently, but I flag up unduly excessive accounts and ask them to move items to DVD or some other more permanent storage (anything that gets to over 20Gb I'll monitor basically). We have 1200 students, and around 250 staff.. space is not an issue currently.
    Last edited by Abaddon; 24th March 2012 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    500MB for students (if they fill it, I'll expand it depending on their courses eg ICT), and 6GB for staff. These fit within our local and backup storage capacities (students may fill 40% of their space by the end of the school year (110% allocation) and staff may fill 50% (200% allocation). These limits seem to work well for most subjects. There is also a very large shared storage area for staff, which gets combed and purged every so often.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just routinely archive psds, and movie files with xcopy every term to an offline backup.

Saves about 75% of our server space.

Our user areas can therefore remain unlimited.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our students have 200MB each, staff have a 100MB more, some staff which require more have unlimited. We have a NAS which has areas for both students and staff we asl for any audio and video resources to be placed on. Yes its very restrictive and not something put in place by myself.

Thank Post
    this is going back about 3 years for me but it used to be about 150-200mb

Thank Post
    Ive just gone through the shared area which was 250gb and deleted folders and compressed jpegs to save around 60gb! amazing how many times ive come across the same folder copied into another folder.

I gave them 1 month to clean it up and then went ahead and "deleted" them (ive just hidden the folders and moved them onto an external hdd lol)

Thank Post
    Wow, I can't imagine only allowing a few hundred MB's of storage for staff here, they'd go crazy! Most staff are usually in the 10-20Gb mark, though a few heads of year currently top out at a little over 60Gb!

I archive & compress stuff where I can, but everyone here just seems to create so_much_stuff. Given the type of school we are and the pupils' abilities an awful lot of stuff made by the staff and pupils is video/photo/audio based rather than just tons of word files at a few kb each though.

I've routinely told people to back up to their own external HDD anything they don't *need* for this teaching year, but few ever do. While space isn't an issue I'm not worrying, but in a few more years they'll have to start deleting things otherwise their laptops won't have an offline files cache big enough to hold it all!

Thank Post
    Staff have no limit here but it's monitored.
    Students have a 4Gb limit but I am thinking of reducing it to 3.

It's not just the disk space that is affected by having large quota's it's being able to back up all the cr*p too....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We don't allow a separate shared area for our art department - any work must be kept in individual areas, else you have no accountability and cr*p builds up.

We start all students with 150MB quota, and increase it if they need it. Staff get 5GB and increases should they need them.

It allows us to question space usage when they want more.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Last secondary school the students had average about 80MB which was enough to last them their time at the school but they were only doing simple Graphics and Office stuff. Where I am now they do much more media work, games etc. and the average is around 600MB.

We have setup a file server just for media work which they are using so that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread