+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, argh! CC3 and GPO in Technical; Im having a really hard time at the moment, we currently have a selection of notebooks, they are not powerful ...
    Thank Post

argh! CC3 and GPO

Im having a really hard time at the moment, we currently have a selection of notebooks, they are not powerful enough really for the network and therefore have not been commissioned as CC3 machines, however they are connected to the domain and pick up our settings.

However the start menu does not display shortcuts to office or any other software which is installed on them, I'm trying to do a start menu redirect using GPO, however this just will not apply, theres no errors in the computer for it, these will only pick up the CC3 settings for some odd reason.

just to make sure i havnt missed something heres what i did:

1. add computers to domain
    2. create group in our establishments
    3. right click group, goto properties click new
    4. went to user configuration\windows settings\folder redirection\Start Menu
    5. choose basic (redirect everyone), the folder is a share which all students have access to (they can read but not modify)

and the start menu just picks up the policy from RM, not the applied policy, ive tried ticking the no Overwrite and Block Policy Inheritance which had no effect. Any Ideas?

Thank Post
    Hi, having never worked with an RM network i'm not 100% sure but this is what i'm thinking. You're group is a group of computers and you're applying the a user policy to these computers which will do nothing unless you have the loopback policy enabled. Loopback processing of Group Policy explains the loopback policy once enabled for these netbooks any user logging onto these netbooks will process the user policy you've already created and therefore will get the redirected start menu.

Thank Post
    yep now got that enabled and it still doesnt pick up the GPO. i really hate rm. will try a local folder in-case its something with the network folder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Create a new GPO for the non-RM clients. Go to User Config, Admin Templates, Start Menu and Task Bar and set "Remove common program groups from Start Menu" to Disabled.

I had this exact problem when I had to put some Windows 7 laptops on our CC3 network and this and a couple of other settings were required to get them usable for students.

Thank Post
    YAY, that did what i wanted although it still didnt redirect the users shortcuts it did show the shortcuts that they needed which is a good thing.

thanks.

EDIT

just realised this give them access to the games, will have to get the redirect working...

EDIT 2.

GOT IT! thankyou everyone!
    Last edited by Flakes; 21st March 2012 at 12:35 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread