+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Thread, How to stop kids running bat files when logon script is bat? in Technical; one of our kids has found the old trick of saving shutdown -i into a bat file and then browsing ...

Thank Post

How to stop kids running bat files when logon script is bat?

one of our kids has found the old trick of saving shutdown -i into a bat file and then browsing the network.

Our logon script is a bat file - so if I put a blanket ban on bat files then the drives don't map to the pcs, there's a restriction on them installing and running executables anyway, but the bat file is obviously dangerous as they could potentially shut down the systems...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Put a ban in their homepaths and anywhere they are able to save to using software path restrictions(one per location GPOs User Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > software restriction policies. Then add all the file types you wish to ban in designated file types

Id also use resource manager on your server to prevent .bat files from being saved and alert you of those trying to do so and ban .bat files on your web filter. Stopped the problems we were having
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 19th March 2012 at 11:45 AM.

3. Thanks to bondbill2k2 from:

speckytecky (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    User Config > Policies > Admin Templates > System - Prevent access to the command prompt - Enabled

On this policy, specify No to - Disable the command prompt script processing also?

5. Thanks to Michael from:

Thank Post
    User Config > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > software restriction policies

Edit the designated file types to include .bat .cmd and so on

then go to > Additional rules and add in the location of the users home paths and any other location the kids can save files to where you wouldn't want them running batch files from E.G H:\

Job done

7. Thanks to mrbios from:

Thank Post
    You could also setup mapped drives using GPP. It's very easy.

9. Thanks to chazzy2501 from:

Thank Post
    Then map network drivers using Group Policy Preferences, so you don't need the logon script to do it (if you have the necessary extensions and server management to do this - so XP onwards and Windows Server 2008 onwards)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know its easy to setup mapped drives, we currently still use a logon script, would mapping improve logon times?

Thank Post
    I never noticed much difference between the two, but it certainly shouldn't increase. Tend to find that these scripts run fast anyway as it's pretty simple.

Thank Post
    What are they running in their bat files?

If you network has the correct file permissions, this shouldn't really be a problem should it? With everyone banging on about coding in the classroom, if they can do no damage, why stop them coding a script? It's how I learnt when I was at school!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    What are they running in their bat files?

If you network has the correct file permissions, this shouldn't really be a problem should it? With everyone banging on about coding in the classroom, if they can do no damage, why stop them coding a script? It's how I learnt when I was at school!
    I'm with you on this. Having just installed a python interpreter on all student workstations I'm waiting to see what's the worst that can happen.

15. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

IrritableTech (19th March 2012)

Thank Post
    Ok let me explain more clearly, there may be a couple of misunderstandings.
    The students log on with a logon script that redirects to a bat file which refers to Desktop Authority which is where we have mappings of printers, folder shares and shortcuts etc so the students, when bat file is not allowed to run by GPO (which is the first thing I put into place when I realised they could run the bat files which they're running from memory sticks or saving in notepad and running), their drives are not mapped, and DA is unable to run it's scripts. It's a shoddy setup, I know, but rather than having to redesign all our logon scripts and permissions, and domain policy, how can I stop the users actually executing their own bat files? They're running things like shutdown /i and browsing, so they can see the network, and there were a couple just identifying the primary server. They can't do that much with them, I know, but when the kids bring up a list of networked computers and say 'look miss, I can hack into the netwoirk', then you have a bunch of teachers running round worrying about their security to the senior leadership team saying that the pupils are able to hack the network. It's just less hassle if they can't have access to this at all. They don't have permissions to access the drives of these machines, but can actually run the shutdown, so therefore can cause trouble by shutting down machines at the very least...

Thank Post
    Michael gave you the answer, above. Follow his instructions to restrict their access to the command shell, then you won't get the problems you're getting. Your login scripts will still run.

Thank Post
    With this GPO implemented on the pupil users OU I can still save a bat file to the desktop and run it as a pupil - I tried this before I posted my thread, and have just tried it again to make sure I wasn't being stupid...

Thank Post
    Apologies, after a gpupdate /force the gpo did kick in. But when logging on as a user with this implemented, the DA Script logon window that normally pops up when applying DA scripts now reads 'The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator', and as I stated in the first post, wouldn't map any drives or printers which are allocated through DA's logon bat file

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    Apologies, after a gpupdate /force the gpo did kick in. But when logging on as a user with this implemented, the DA Script logon window that normally pops up when applying DA scripts now reads 'The command prompt has been disabled by your administrator', and as I stated in the first post, wouldn't map any drives or printers which are allocated through DA's logon bat file
    Go back to my previous post and do that instead. Software restriction policies is exactly what you want.

21. Thanks to mrbios from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast