+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, Java MSI Deployment Fun.... in Technical; I seek advice from the great hive mind of edugeek :-) on the same kind of issue. As it's easter ...

Thank Post
    I seek advice from the great hive mind of edugeek :-) on the same kind of issue.

As it's easter I decided to give our IT rooms an overhaul and tidy up some of the computers a bit, I've discovered that about 10 of them are still running update 14 of the java, so I thought 'oh lets get these computers upgraded to the right version as AD doesn't seem to be deploying the java update to them' little did i know it would turn into a nightmare for me.

basically I have hit a snag where i physically cannot get the update 14 of java to remove itself from my sight, it refuses to update, it refuses to uninstall, i even tried getting my hands on a .msi of the 14 update, but it still refuses, i keep getting the cannot find the msi on network error, as it was hosted on an old server before I started (which is why i went hunting for the 14 update msi, but it just errors saying it's not valid)

I've even tried FN-GM's script from above, and java just refuses to budge!
    Any suggestions (or even pointing out blind stupid mistakes i've made here) would be much appreated.

Thank Post
    As it was installed from an old server there is probably a registry key somewhere which is pointing to the old deployment share for that MSI. Try searching the reg on one of the machines for the name of the update 14 msi file. If you find a key with a path to the old server, try changing it to point to a current share and pop the update 14 msi into that folder. When you try uninstalling it should find the file correctly.

If this works you just need to add a reg modify line into a batch file (or GPP) before running the uninstall

Thank Post
    Last time we deployed Java, I did it by extracting the MSI out of the installer and deploying that. It worked initially, but whenever Windows decided it needed to re-install or repair the install on Windows 7 or Vista the install would break completely - most of Java's files would be removed and a file core.zip left in the folder, stored in the zip file were all the files. These re-installs occurred when moving computers between OUs with different group policies deploying MSI, but apparently occurred at other times as well.

The root cause of the problem is that the Java MSI is not installing the files properly though the file table. It installs the core.zip file and then runs a custom action to extract the files out. This works for install, but means that during repair/reinstall Windows Installer carefully restores core.zip rather than the actual files. Flash MSIs do a similar thing, and it also causes problems.

I am just about to deploy Java again. I might try FN-GM's script this time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdowding View Post
    I seek advice from the great hive mind of edugeek :-) on the same kind of issue.

As it's easter I decided to give our IT rooms an overhaul and tidy up some of the computers a bit, I've discovered that about 10 of them are still running update 14 of the java, so I thought 'oh lets get these computers upgraded to the right version as AD doesn't seem to be deploying the java update to them' little did i know it would turn into a nightmare for me.

basically I have hit a snag where i physically cannot get the update 14 of java to remove itself from my sight, it refuses to update, it refuses to uninstall, i even tried getting my hands on a .msi of the 14 update, but it still refuses, i keep getting the cannot find the msi on network error, as it was hosted on an old server before I started (which is why i went hunting for the 14 update msi, but it just errors saying it's not valid)

I've even tried FN-GM's script from above, and java just refuses to budge!
    Any suggestions (or even pointing out blind stupid mistakes i've made here) would be much appreated.
    themightymrp's suggestion is probably safer if you can get it to work, but the tool I would use in these circumstances is the windows installer cleanup utility. It is a blunt instrument that will kill off all of Windows Installer's record of an installed MSI, though it leaves the files installed by that MSI and (I think) the program's registry settings unchanged. If you run that, then you should be able to reinstall Java update 14 again over the top and then uninstall it properly. I have found it really useful for dealing with these kinds of problems. Unfortunately Microsoft no longer provide the utility - they have released an alternative here that I have not tried, but might work for you. You can also obtain the original windows installer cleanup utility from various freeware sites.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,389 Times in 1,769 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdowding View Post
    I have hit a snag where I physically cannot get the update 14 of Java to remove itself from my sight, it refuses to update, it refuses to uninstall
    Try this trick to force the MSI to install over the top of an existing installation (even when it is messed up)...

Code:
    msiexec /fvecmus "jre1.6.0_14.msi" /qb!
    Once you have done that, you can either uninstall 'Update 14' properly via Programs & Features or install the latest version of Java (the former option probably being the most reliable).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollity View Post
    This works for install, but means that during repair/reinstall Windows Installer carefully restores core.zip rather than the actual files.
    This is a known bug with Java 6 Update 18 onwards, but Oracle have no intention of fixing their MSI because they do not see it as an issue.

According to this thread on the IT Ninja website (see the posts by a user called Deranjer), the way to fix it is to modify the IntallMode for most of the files in the RemoveFile table so that they do not get deleted when the MSI is repaired/reinstalled. You can either use the MSI for Java 6 Update 17 as a reference for creating an MST for the latest Java MSI or alternatively download the one I have attached below for Update 31 (which also has a few additional modifications that you may/may not need).
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Thanks to Arthur from:

Jollity (16th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    This is a known bug with Java 6 Update 18 onwards, but Oracle have no intention of fixing their MSI because they do not see it as an issue.
    That is a disappointing response from Oracle considering how easy it would be for them to fix at least reinstall. I do not understand why they are using an MSI at all if they do not intend to support it properly. What is so appealing about these bizarre MSI sandwiches with an exe installer, wrapped in a MSI, wrapped in another exe installer?

I really appreciate your laying out the workaround. I will give your MST a try tomorrow.

The person who submitted the bug report to Oracle says of the workaround: "However, using a transform in this manner would likely cause problems with future versions or Updates of Java." It seems to me that it ought not to cause a problem: future updates should still remove previous versions (of the same major version) even with the transform (at least as well as they ever did). Have you had any problems with this?

Thank Post
    What is so appealing about these bizarre MSI sandwiches with an exe installer, wrapped in a MSI, wrapped in another exe installer?
    I have never understood the appeal either. Adobe and Google also do this and it is incredibly annoying. Perhaps bundling toolbars and other junk is easier when you use EXEs installers?

Have you had any problems with this?
    I always fully uninstall the old MSI prior to installing the latest. This way the new MSI has no knowledge of what was installed before. 99% of the time this works perfectly.

Based on the comment below, I reckon if you are upgrading from one minor Java version to another you shouldn't have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by IT Ninja
    deranjer | 07/16/2010
    I was successfully able to update from the straight unedited 6u20 to the 6u21 msi with mst with no issues, everything appears to be working fine, which is good, saved me a lot of hassle.

10. Thanks to Arthur from:

Jollity (16th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Please find the attached script
    @FN-GM --> Thanks for the script. the script is working on windows xp but not on windows 7. Can you please suggest on this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sibasundar View Post
    @FN-GM --> Thanks for the script. the script is working on windows xp but not on windows 7. Can you please suggest on this.
    Works for us, we only have Windows 7. What is the error?

Thank Post
    Works for us, we only have Windows 7. What is the error?
    It is giving Error 1603 “Fatal Error During Installation”............
    The script searches the correct versions, but during the uninstall part it is giving the above error.
    We need the script to uninstall java static edition and also JREs present in the system. We need it to remove all the java versions in the system and install one needed version for our application. Please help.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Could it be just that one PC? It works a treat for us.

Thank Post
    Have you tried uninstalling manually to see if that gives the same error?

Thank Post
    Could it be just that one PC? It works a treat for us.
    I have tried with several windows 7 PC, but it is giving the same error and when manually uninstalling, there is no error.
    we have more than 3000 pc to uninstall and install the required one, so please help.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sibasundar View Post
    I have tried with several windows 7 PC, but it is giving the same error and when manually uninstalling, there is no error.
    we have more than 3000 pc to uninstall and install the required one, so please help.....
    Does a log file appear in "C:\Software-Deployment-Logs\" or whatever directory you specified on the command line when running the script?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast