+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Online Database in Technical; Now I probably should have put this in a different forum, not sure which one, but I put it here ...

Thank Post

Online Database

Now I probably should have put this in a different forum, not sure which one, but I put it here to get the best response. (mods move it wherever)

Last year I developed a simple tracking system using Access to input student grades. I located it on the server and put it on the start menu for the teachers to access it . The SMT love it, but the staff are always moaning that they cannot access it because their computers don't have access or they want to do it at home.

Now the only solution I can see to this problem is a an online database. Anyone have any thoughts about what would be the best way to go about this, if anything like this exists already (but price is an issue !) and how easy it would be set up my own ?

Re: Online Database

How about an MySQL database, with a front end viewable in an interent browser?

As for how easy that would be, pass. Im sure some of the programmers here could shed some more light.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I set one up pretty easily using a windows web server. It's a very easy conversion. Take a look at the docs. You just need a web facing server

Thank Post

Either mySQL or an Access DB should be fine! Personally i'd use mySQL and PHP though.

If you have dreamweaver, this has some in built stuff to connect to a database (either PHP or ASP) and pull info from it, it's not the cleanest code but it works if you just want to pull info from a DB and display it.

This page has some info about dreamweaver and DB connections.

If you need a hand, give me a shout!

Thank Post

Am I right thinking you're in Lancs Pear? If so you can have a MySQL database in your Lancs provided webspace, along with php support.

Andy

Thank Post

Yes, I am in Lancs. The MySQL option was the first thing I thought of, I'd rather stay away from Access though !

Do I have to contact Lancs NGFL or somebody to have the database installed ? We also have some more webspace with supanames which also allows us to use a sql database (although I have a test for moodle on that until Xmas)

In the short run I would just want to set up the database so staff could input student grades in and then for it to be all collaborated into a report. But in the long run I would want specific queries that staff could enter to pull out class/subject data and be able to print it.

You just need your MySQL Username / Password from your ISP and the address of the MyQSL admin page.

Thank Post

@pear: email 'webmaster AT lancsngfl DOT ac DOT uk' and you shall be provided with all that you need.

Thank Post

I suppose you'd also better look at including some kind of security mechanism if you're putting up personal data.

Andy.

Thank Post

Does mysql swell up like access ? Because I'm starting to consider all possibilities such as filling the register in for each class using the database, but I don't want to have a bulky database that is slow.

Obviously security is an issue and I'll make sure everything requires passwords.

Thank Post

Haven't done much fancy with it yet - but it doesn't seem to be getting too big.

Thank Post

I'd suggest obsure URL with .htaccess / pswd a good start.

Also, turning off the show folder listing of file and folders [sorry - no idea what its actually called] in the server config for that specific directory perhaps or the whole site maybe.

My personal host has that turned off anyhow so I've never bothered with having to turn it off hehe

Just my 2p

Regards
    N.

Thank Post

mySQl would be an ideal solution to your problem Pear. You could make the system even better by using a LAMP setup and making a web front-end to the whole thing. Then it'll look nice for the teachers and won't put off any luddites on your staff.
    If it contains student data and you are going to make in available online, you definitely want to look into the security side like Tarquel mentioned before you implement it because you may accidentally fall foul of the DPA.
    BTW- It won't bloat up like an Access database so you shouldn't need to worry to much about the size for what you intend to do.

Good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread