+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Windows XP SP3 NIC missing in Technical; hi guys, one of our WS(XP prof SP3) machine's Network connection gone missing. Any idea how to get it back ...

Thank Post

Windows XP SP3 NIC missing

hi guys, one of our WS(XP prof SP3) machine's Network connection gone missing. Any idea how to get it back ? without it no network connectivity

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Does it show in device manager at all?

Has it been disabled in the bios?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    If you do an ipconfig /all from a command prompt I presume it shows a valid connection with regards to ip address,subnet mask etc or it doesn't show anything aside from a possible error stating there are no network adaptors ?

Or was it just the network icon in the system tray that is not available ?

If it is missing from device manager ( as per plexers post ) then if you do a scan for hardware changes does it appear as either an unknown device or NIC or ethernet card ( If so you will require the latest drivers which you would most likely have to download from the relevant manufacturers website and copy those to a memory stick or some storage device so that you can install them onto the relevant machine )

Assuming it is an onboard network card ( yes the bios option regards to ensuring it is enabled ) if it is a PCI type network card then I would shut the machine down, If it is not in warranty , take the side off, disconnect ( pull out the network card when you don't have an ethernet cable plugged into it ) and reseat the network card firmly, put the side back on and re connect everything and power the machine back on and check again. Obviously putting any screws back in and screwing them in tight enough where relevant

*** NOTE ****** 1. Ensure that the machine is not in warranty otherwise you will more then likely void the warranty if it had any and 2. by reseating any devices inside of a computer you obviously need to be aware of static and either use an anti static device ie wrist band or at the very least ensure you touch the metal frame of the base unit every so often and if possible try to do this in a non carpeted area ie kitchen or the likes.

Option 2 assumes this is a desktop otherwise if it is a laptop it will more then likely be onboard.

Thank Post
    The part about not voiding warranty is not always true unless the manafacturer is completely anal even HP want me to put parts in myself.

Ben

Thank Post
    Guys... many thanks for your advice

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The part about not voiding warranty is not always true unless the manafacturer is completely anal even HP want me to put parts in myself.

Ben
    Just to cover myself for advising him to do something and then the manufacturer states nope its not covered cos you have mucked around with it and now it doesn't even boot or whatever but as you mentioned it is worth checking with the manufacturer to advise them you are upgrading x, y and z is this ok for me to do myself etc. Normally they are ok with it, but if the machine is out of warranty then its a moot point anyway

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

plexer (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Just to cover myself for advising him to do something and then the manufacturer states nope its not covered cos you have mucked around with it and now it doesn't even boot or whatever but as you mentioned it is worth checking with the manufacturer to advise them you are upgrading x, y and z is this ok for me to do myself etc. Normally they are ok with it, but if the machine is out of warranty then its a moot point anyway
    Indeed

Ben

9. Thanks to plexer from:

mac_shinobi (23rd February 2012)

Thank Post
    Won't let me edit my previous post but with regards to my last comment ref it being a laptop you can get ethernet ( wired and wireless ) cards via PCMCIA or using other connections, think I had a usb to ethernet adaptor on an old laptop so that might be worth taking into consideration.

If wired might be worth checking the pins inside the ethernet port to ensure they are not bent inwards too much otherwise when you plug the ethernet cable in it may not make contact with the copper pins which are diagonal, if that makes sense

If it is a wireless issue not obtaining an ip address then may either be the router is pants, wireless is mis-configured on the router or needs some settings changed on the router to allow it to work with said wireless card ie changing the channel it is broadcasting the wireless network on, adjusting the speed from 300 mbps to 145 or 54mbps, adjusting the encryption method etc etc

Just had a daft thought, when you say missing ( as far as a wireless card is concerned ) you do mean that windows is not detecting it as opposed to missing as in the wireless card has been stolen
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 23rd February 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Does it show in device manager at all?

Has it been disabled in the bios?

Ben
    I had same issue with a laptop here. The laptop could not see the LAN connection when either plugged into the docking station or when it wasn't which seemed to be weird. The issue was apparent after having to fix a missing HAL.DLL which actually was a missing boot.ini file :-(.

I didn't actually sort out the issue as it was an old laptop and needed to upgrade for Win 7 but I'd prob recommend a rebuild/reimage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread