+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, WMP11 msi in Technical; Does anyone know of a WMP11 msi that works well over a network. I have created one using the Microsoft ...
    Thank Post

WMP11 msi

Does anyone know of a WMP11 msi that works well over a network. I have created one using the Microsoft EDP for Windows Media Player which worked well initially but for some reason now request students to validate the player. When they click ok it says that i do not have a valid version of Windows!!! This obviously is not the case.

This will validate fine for admin btw. Again i do not understand why this has stopped working as this had been fine for some time.

Thank Post

Re: WMP11 msi

I have found this article which isn't helpful in resolution but may explain a few things.

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/...1658&SiteID=25

Back to the drawing board then unless anyone knows of a solution!?

Thank Post

Has anyone had any luck with a wmp11 msi yet? I could really do with one that deploys "hands free"

Thank Post

You can deploy WMP via WSUS

Thank Post

I have an RM CC3 network so this is not an option unfortunately. Would be easier i agree but then i wouldn't get the benefits of site wide uninstallations without it.

Thank Post

@randle: Why isn't WSUS an option on a CC3 network... it's only a means of delivering patches. IIRC WSUS 3 can do installations of patches too.

Just out of interest, why do you want to install WMP11? AFAIK there are some very strict DRM policies built in and no real increase in functinality - especially not for a school environment.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Just out of interest, why do you want to install WMP11? AFAIK there are some very strict DRM policies built in and no real increase in functinality - especially not for a school environment.
    I have had lots of complaints about media player 11 crashing, although it only effects specific machines. I think (because I haven't tested it properly) this wasn't a problem with media player 9. It installed itself via wsus, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I'm probably going to remove it.

Thank Post

@Ric_: Patches, hotfixes and general apps are delivered using RM's own methods (via msi deployment only) mainly due to having to test everything for compatability with RM components so deployment via WSUS would bypass this whole process.

I updated at the beginning of the year just to keep upto date with changes and for some time it worked with no problems whatsoever but have recently had a validation problem with students - Security permissions restricts them from validating this thus causing a big issue. I have done some research and found that this validation cannot be bypassed legitimately at the moment making mass deployment useless so am now looking to remove this although a rollback is not performed when the msi is uninstalled...again i'm stuck.

I'm now resorting to compiling a Autoit script to run the wmp11 spuninst.exe file which removes this but am having problems automating all button responses at the mo

Thank Post
    Did anyone get anywhere with the validation problem? Just encountered it on our cc3 network with RM's msi...

Thank Post
    CC3 networks can use WSUS just fine, it's just that you're not supposed to because all the patches and updates go through RM first before they make them available as CC3 packages on their site. I'm not sure what RM would do if you were using WSUS, they may not support you any longer since you'd be using "non RM patches".

Thank Post
    Just logged it with RM, apparently it was a problem they'd already encountered and then fixed on their msi when they released it... but obviously hasn't in our case - they're looking into it now anyway, will keep u posted.

Thank Post
    In order to deply media player 11 you need to download the Microsoft Enterprise Deployment Pack for WIndows Media Player. It says that it only supports version 10 but you can trick it into doing media player 11. see link below for advice. I have done it myself and it works a treat.

Need a distributable MSI for WMP11 - Media Technology

Just rename the file and away you go!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts

maybe too late ?

Not sure if this is of any help or use but I just got windows media player classic ( since it supports a lot of formats ) and used advanced installer to make an msi of that and just pushed that out via gpo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I use this method to install MP11 silently and I've never had any problems. Download MP11 from Microsoft, then open and extract it using a tool like WinRAR.

You can then run the following script to install MP11 silently:

Code:
    @echo off
    TITLE Installing Windows Media Player 11
    echo.
    echo Installing Windows Media Player 11 Part 1...
    \\SHARENAME\wmfdist11.exe /quiet /passive /norestart
    echo.
    echo Installing Windows Media Player 11 Part 2... 
    \\SHARENAME\wmp11.exe /quiet /passive /norestart

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information