+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Removing DELETE permissions, but not removing tmp files in Technical; Having a bit of a mare, and probably can't see the wood for the trees. But I'm trying to remove ...

Thank Post

Removing DELETE permissions, but not removing tmp files

Having a bit of a mare, and probably can't see the wood for the trees. But I'm trying to remove delete permissions for users, so that they can't delete any files from their home drives (don't ask). This I can do fine with denying the DELETE priviledge to the STUDENT group in the file system properites of the share, but however this means that every document that they open up, creates a temp file, and on closing, even logging off, the temp files aren't removed. So I wrote a tiny batch to delete *.tmp, and run as a logoff script, however as this is a loggoff script, it runs with the same users credentials, so therefore, does not delete anything. Can not put it in a shutdown script, as the temp files are on the share/not the local profile on the workstation (besides, the machines aren't always shutdown after a session). DOHH!

I know I could schedule a massicare of the tmp files at night across the entire drive, but would prefer not to have to do this.

Anyone got any ideas, I've not had much time to dedicate to coming up with a work around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many regards
    Nei;

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 2,077 Posts

Thank Post
    Hi Arthur,
    Thanks for the post. This is essentially what I have already done, and works for the purpose of stopping the deleting of items, however, the bones of the problem I have due to this, is that document temp files, are created when users open files from their home drive, are not deleted when the document is closed or even when the session is logged off. This means that all the users home folders will quickly pile up with tmp files, and I want to try and avoid a mass find/delete scheduled nightly task to remove them and have them cleared when the attributed document is closed, or at least when the user logs off.

Thank Post
    I think you can use file screening to prevent certainly office programs from creating the temporary files at all. If you block .tmp files or ~*.* files they wont be created which I don't believe actually impacts usability.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    I think you can use file screening to prevent certainly office programs from creating the temporary files at all. If you block .tmp files or ~*.* files they wont be created which I don't believe actually impacts usability.
    It almost certainly impacts the undo/redo function

Can't the script written be scheduled to run at a regular time on the server overnight with admin privileges?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    It almost certainly impacts the undo/redo function

Can't the script written be scheduled to run at a regular time on the server overnight with admin privileges?
    It wont affect undo/redo at all, you can open office documents from locations where you only have read access without creating a temp file and undo/redo works perfectly fine.

Thank Post
    Hi Elsie,
    That is currently my ownly resort, however, we are sometimes clocking up GBs of tmp files and we are on the limits of our current storage capabilities.

Chris, thanks, I'll try this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread