+ Post New Thread
Windows Thread, Encryption Software for Computers and USB Devices in Technical; I am looking into Encryption Software for Office PCs, Staff Laptops and USB Memory Pens. And perhaps the Server and ...

Thank Post

Encryption Software for Computers and USB Devices

I am looking into Encryption Software for Office PCs, Staff Laptops and USB Memory Pens. And perhaps the Server and Backups.

I have two pieces of software:
    TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux
    and
    CE-Infosys : FREE CompuSec PC Security Suite

I am very vaguely familiar with TrueCrypt and have never used Free CompuSec (R).

My question is for Office PCs and Staff Laptops what are others using and what is the best solution? It would also be useful to know if there are any step-by-step guides for both pieces of software, and if it is possible to encrypt a drive without loosing all data.

For USB Memory Pens reading that with TrueCrypt you need to install the software on every machine you are going to use it on, or need administrator rights when running it in Portable Mode scares me slightly. I am not sure if Free CompuSec would also need software installed before the drives can be accessed. The other possibility I am looking into is purchasing Hardware Encrypted USB Pens, but am unsure if I will run into the same problems as software encryption, with administrator rights being needed or software needing to be installed beforehand. Of course being a network the staff and students are pretty locked down, although I have also found this software which I think might get around the administrator rights problem somehow: Runas Password

I'd also appreciate peoples views on Encryption for Win 2008 R2 and options. For backups I noticed that the latest version of BackupAssist now has TrueCrypt integration, which I tried as a test but it errored out. The documentation seems a big vague (to me) and I am wondering if backup devices need to be encrypted before the truecrypt feature in BackupAssist can be used. Of course someone might know a better method I am not aware of, and I appreciate any help or advice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What client OS are you using? have you considered BitLocker?

There is an MSI installer on here that will allow you to run Truecrypt portable without admin rights.

Thank Post
    I will be using a mixture of Win XP SP3 and Win 7 Pro, so BitLocker is not really an option.

Do you have a link to the MSI installer you mentioned please?

hit
    Thank Post
    It's here: TrueCrypt 7.1 MSI

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreS View Post
    I will be using a mixture of Win XP SP3 and Win 7 Pro, so BitLocker is not really an option.

Do you have a link to the MSI installer you mentioned please?
    I would still use Bitlocker on your 7 machines. Its makes things far easier for the end user.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I Used Rohos Mini Drive for our school pens/flash/usb drives (Rohos » Rohos Mini Drive) Works a treat, easy to install and set up AND it installs a mini version of itself on the pen so you can access your secured data on any PC. (I know it works, use it all the time). This works by formatting your drive into a visible and hidden partition (you choose the size) and you can set the password. For the technophobic/forgetful staff you can even create a restore disk, just in case they forget their password! Their documentation is terrific and easy to follow. Longest part of teh job was formatting the sticks! BEST BIT IS IT's FREE!!! ANy questions just ask or check their website. Uses same security levels as trycrypt etc.

Thank Post
    Hi CommodoreS

I have just been tasked with something similar, how have you been getting on with this? which way have your choosen to go?

Thank Post
    Hi I have been given this too, i am interested to find what other software is being used..

Thank Post
    We've given staff kingston encrypted drives at one school. Some staff complain that they're too slow and want to use their old non-encrypted ones.

At another school, they use truecrypt with a batch file to open / close the encrypted drives. It's down to the staff to actually use it instead of the little free space (deliberately) left on the drive.

In both cases, I'm quite clear that they are expected to use the encrypted drive for data relating to the kids and the penalties for losing said data. It also covers my a$$ to a degree - I've given them tools and instructions on how to use them so don't come after me if they lose important data.

10. Thanks to mats from:

martin1327 (16th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks Mats
    I am going to have a look at truecrypt, i also downloaded some info on Rohos and bitlocker. i will see how i get on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread