+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Thread, New ICT Programing Software in Technical; Originally Posted by gavlar I think Visual Basic 2010 and Expression are available with the Academic Alliance for lab installs ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavlar View Post
    I think Visual Basic 2010 and Expression are available with the Academic Alliance for lab installs (which is included with EES). AA has also merged with Dreamspark.
    Hiya could you explain what you mean when you say lab installs? Also what is EES?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzle View Post
    Hiya could you explain what you mean when you say lab installs? Also what is EES?
    By lab install I mean installing the software in a computer lab/suite/classroom.

Q. Our computer lab is used by students from several departments. Can we install the MSDNAA software on the lab computers and allow it to be used by the students from the other departments?

A. Yes, one of the goals of the MSDNAA program is to make the software available for students to experiment with in a laboratory setting. Even if a member department shares a lab with another department, the software may be installed on lab computers and made accessible to any student wishing to use the computers. Be aware that member departments do not have the legal right to install the software on lab computers not affiliated with the member department. Additionally, the only students who would have the right to install the program software on their personal computers are those who are taking at least one credit class in the member department.
    MSDNAA FAQs for Faculty: General Information About the Program

EES is a volume licensing subscription from Microsoft for Educational Establishments.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gavlar View Post
    By lab install I mean installing the software in a computer lab/suite/classroom.

MSDNAA FAQs for Faculty: General Information About the Program

EES is a volume licensing subscription from Microsoft for Educational Establishments.
    Interesting thank you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    The point of the curriculum change is so that children can learn something useful, ie how to program, which at GCSE level requires a text editor at most.
    Uh huh.. prior to posting I'd read a thread on the RM forum where a significant part of the general drift is the difficulties deploying and running a VPC XP+VS Pro image which apparently is a 5-6GB VHD and needs a minimum 2GB RAM. Now I've spent more years professionally s/w engineering than the kids who'll start learning with that have lived, and the conversation just seems surreal. Insane. I definitely get graphical programming a la Scratch, Kodu etc. (8yo Sprogette currently loves them almost as much as Moshi Monsters) and I wouldn't want anything less than a decent syntax highlighting editor a la Notepad++, possibly more. But VS Pro? Windows SDKs? What the.. ?!?

Not working for a s/w house team any more (where some of the bells & whistles do matter) if I'm writing dotNet my usual weapon of choice is VS C# *Express* because it does everything I ever need to do, and some code I'd rather write myself than have written for me. Why a beginner would need VS Pro is completely beyond me and they won't need the Windows SDK because half of that essentially relates to C++ native code which I assume definitely isn't on the curriculum(?), and web browsers make the dotNet half redundant, not that this is about learning dotNet surely?

It will be interesting to see how it plays out because there's a very observable split: One side is doing the same old "must use industry standard mega tools" stuff and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it, the others might actually have taken some clear hints from some of those ICT v. Computing reports etc. Whatever, I'll be betting on the ones with the Raspberry Pis and the like. See also my sig.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 3rd February 2012 at 12:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    It will be interesting to see how it plays out because there's a very observable split: One side is doing the same old "must use industry standard mega tools" stuff and throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it, the others might actually have taken some clear hints from some of those ICT v. Computing reports etc. Whatever, I'll be betting on the ones with the Raspberry Pis and the like. See also my sig.

I was thinking exactly the same thing this evening with respect to the 'industry standard' argument. Scratch is out.

I'm also wondering why network managers think that a raspberry pi with root linux, python and a network connection is going to be such a good idea - given that it is an ideal hackers environment (and therefore programmers environment).

The only sure thing is that MS will produce and market the tools to make sure the next generation of programmers can only use MS, thus exacerbating the issue of increasing hardware requirements.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Would a cloud-based development environment such as ApplicationCraft be suitable?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Why a beginner would need VS Pro is completely beyond me and they won't need the Windows SDK because half of that essentially relates to C++ native code which I assume definitely isn't on the curriculum(?), and web browsers make the dotNet half redundant, not that this is about learning dotNet surely?
    This......!

Thank Post
    Along with Kodu and a few others I can't remember atm, we have just put out Yenka.com it was introduced to us by one of our new NQTs parts of it are completely free, others you have to pay for. However, they are currently doing an 'Offer us a price for our product' which to be honest seems like a good way to get it cheap!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Would a cloud-based development environment such as ApplicationCraft be suitable?
    This seems absolutely brilliant for a school learning environment. With an option for an in-house intranet server in the works, and the talk of Education licensing (Education License).

We'll be seriously looking into this for our school.

Thank Post
    Our head of IT said she did not want any programming software as students should learn that in college and Uni, so she is sticking with teaching office and animated gif's for animation in fireworks. Sad isn't it, that person is in charge of developing young minds.

Thank Post
    Here it's Small Basic, Python and Vis Basic Express on a VPC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pritchardavid View Post
    What are you guys planing to deploy for the new ICT?

I have deployed the following so far

- Small Basic (This is free)
    - Kodu Game Labs (This is free)

Going to deploy

- Visual Basic Pro 2010 SP1 (Free through DreamSpark)

- Expression Studio Ultimate (Free through DreamSpark)

- Windows Phone SDK

- Android Devlopment, probs looking at Esclipe, unless we can get it working with Visual Studio 2010

Any other software ideas?

Also is it best to have the Windows SDK with Visual Studio?

This is going to be made with APP-V, so looks like Visual Studio, Expression Studio, Windows Phone SDK will have to be one package because of all the SDK and intergration between the products, does that sound the right thing to do?
    Can I ask which method you used to run these programs? We are using VMware and wondered if there was a better solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Our head of IT said she did not want any programming software as students should learn that in college and Uni, so she is sticking with teaching office and animated gif's for animation in fireworks. Sad isn't it, that person is in charge of developing young minds.
    I agree, it's not like the entire future of working life will be opened up to people who know how to program, I don't see computers, robots, 3d printers, etc being used much in jobs in the future.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,140 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Computing is not just about coding. It is about analytic problem solving, learning vocabulary and language structure, creative design, time management and group work.

No ... I can't see any of the above used in working life.

The problem with coding is that people tend to stick it in a silo of its own ... and not link it with activities in other subjects. That means that the common skills and concepts also get put in there too and it means massive opportunities are missed.

Computing is not unique with this though and only an integrated curriculum will really deal with this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'm also wondering why network managers think that a raspberry pi with root linux, python and a network connection is going to be such a good idea - given that it is an ideal hackers environment (and therefore programmers environment).
    THis might be a good option for running Python etc:
    Gate One | Liftoff Software (press esc)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast